Senior Library Associate, Systems
Created: October 1, 2015
Metropolitan Museum of Art New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Thomas J. Watson Library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is seeking candidates for a Senior Library Associate, Systems.
This position plays a key role in supporting the day-to-day systems and technology work of Watson Library. Basic responsibilities include working with the Systems Team to support the integrated library system, the online catalog, library hardware and software, and their use by library staff, museum staff, and visiting researchers. Other duties include working with the Digitization Team to manage digital collections and imaging equipment; with Technical Services staff to ensure the most efficient use of the library system for ordering, receiving, and cataloging of research material; and with Reader Services to assist library researchers. This position works collaboratively with library staff to regularly assess procedures, and develops strategies for the implementation of technologies to enhance access to the collections, to increase productivity, to streamline workflows, and will play an active role in the design and development of all public-facing elements of Watson Library’s online presence. This position will also work with the departments of Digital Media and Information Systems and Technology to coordinate and continuously improve library systems and service.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborates with library staff and vendors to identify, format and coordinate the batch loading of bibliographic, order, invoice, and authority data and records into the library system.
- Assists with the maintenance and development of the library ILS (Innovative Interfaces Inc.’s Millennium) and online catalog, Watsonline; serves as a contact with the vendor; coordinates with the library systems team for installing new releases, troubleshooting, and documentation.
- Works closely with vendors providing link resolvers, proxy authentication, authorities processing, cataloging services, digital repositories and interlibrary loan systems; monitors, ensures optimal performance and resolves technical support issues when appropriate.
- Assists with staff training on all upgrades and enhancements and their implications for improving access, workflows and processes; assesses the value of new software and features.
- Collaborates with the Digitization Team to support projects that advance the creation of digital collections. Prepares and inventories material for digitization; manages CONTENTdm workflows and monitors vendor performance; carries out quality control; and provides enhanced metadata in the appropriate schema.
- Applies web design skills to the continuous development of the library’s online presence
- Manages the electronic journals collection, including holdings maintenance, record loading, vendor relations, troubleshooting access issues, and documentation.
- Assists in identifying short and long-term library technology needs and opportunities, and exploring the innovative use of emerging information and web technologies.
- Supports maintenance of public and staff scanners and ensures their ongoing effective use.
- Provides public service at the Watson Library Registration Desk (including six weekend days per year).
- Trains and supervises interns and work study students.
- Other related duties.
Requirements and Qualifications
Experience and Skills
- Two or more years library experience required.
- Experience using an integrated library system required; Innovative Interfaces systems (Millennium and/or Sierra) experience a plus.
- Knowledge and experience working with content management systems required; CONTENTdm, TMS, and SiteCore experience a plus.
- Understanding of the MARC record; familiarity with metadata standards and formats for library systems required.
- Aptitude for acquiring new skills relevant to library systems required.
- Strong service orientation and awareness of end user needs as related to library systems and web platforms required.
- Ability to work effectively, both collaboratively and independently, in a service-driven environment required.
- Ability to do detailed work accurately required.
- Experience developing and administering web-based solutions using CSS, HTML, XML, APIs and related technologies
- Experience with information visualization tools and graphic design preferred.
- Project management, training and supervisory skills preferred.
Knowledge and Education
- B.A. required, work toward an M.L.S. preferred
- Knowledge of art history and/or related fields required
- Knowledge of MARC, EAD, Dublin Core, and other metadata schema and library standards preferred
- Knowledge of HTML/XML, CSS/XSL, Microsoft Excel, content management systems, visualization tools, web design, and graphic design
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical users required
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC