Data Repository Developer
Created: September 20, 2015
At the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) you belong to a community of experts who are driving science and technology forward. Our incredible diversity of research, technology and engineering projects truly fire the imagination and lead to real-world solutions which shape societies and transform lives.
STFC’s Scientific Computing Department (SCD) work with the very latest technologies to develop leading edge software, computer and data storage infrastructures to support the work of world class science both within STFC and internationally.
About The Role
We now have a vacancy for a Data Repository Developer within SCD, working on a new project building an innovative research outputs infrastructure, building on work on our existing publication and new data repositories on an initial 2 year fixed term basis. This infrastructure will enable the linking and discovery of related research outputs and will contributes to this active area within STFC.
You will participate in software development for systems and tools which enable the discovery and re-use of scientific data.These duties will include:
- Capture of user requirements.
- Creation of data discovery tools and services through system analysis, design, implementation, testing and support.
- Maintenance and further development of existing data and publication management and discovery tools.
- Lead design activities.
- Take responsibility for delivering systems.
- Manage interaction with end users.
- Develop future business opportunities.
- Take responsibility for quality assurance.
- This role will require occasional travel to other STFC locations. There will be opportunities to share this work with others in the wider academic community.
You will hold a degree in an appropriate computing or technical discipline, or demonstrate significant relevant experience.
You will have experience in programming languages such as Java, C/C++ and/or python, along with experience of best practice software development lifecycles.
Further experience in the following areas is desirable, but not essential:
- Developing / supporting repository products such as DSpace.
- Analysis and evaluation of user requirements.
- User interface design experience.
- Domain experience in either scientific data management or digital library and & information science systems.
- You will need to demonstrate excellent analytical and problem-solving capability, and the ability to show sound judgement.
You will also display excellent communication and interpersonal skills so as to work effectively with a range of staff and stakeholders.
We give you the flexibility, the freedom and the world-class facilities to focus on what you do best, and play your part in breakthroughs and achievements that will give you lifelong pride.
An excellent index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexi-time are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc197213_5630.aspx . Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 01793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 14th October 2015, however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date.
STFC - The Science and Technology Facilities Council - STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Salary: £28,384 to £38,426 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Contract / Temporary
Placed on: 16th September 2015
Closes: 14th October 2015
Job Ref: IRC197213
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC