Digital Repository Developer
Please see the full posting for this position at: http://metro.org/jobs/digital-repository-developer-metro/
The Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Digital Repository Developer.
Reporting to METRO’S Digital Services Manager and working in conjunction with the Metadata Specialist, the Digital Repository Developer is responsible for the technical support of Digital Culture of Metropolitan New York (DCMNY), an online collection hosting service for members of the Metropolitan New York Library Council. DCMNY (dcmny.org) runs on the Islandora platform.
DCMNY currently hosts approximately 25 collections from libraries, archives, museums and historical societies around the Metropolitan New York area, and is poised for growth. The Digital Repository Developer will make this possible by developing the technical processes and workflows necessary to operationalize the ingest of new collections, including collections in formats such as books, audio, video, and archival collections. The Digital Repository Developer will also be responsible for the management and maintenance of the underlying repository including updates and upgrades as needed, managing efforts to improve the value of the service to our members (e.g., enhanced collection usage and reporting capabilities, digital preservation services), and assessment of future needs. In addition the Digital Repository Developer will play an active role in the Islandora and Fedora open source communities, contributing code, participating in working groups, attending meetings/camps and engaging in other activities in support of current and future implementers of these technologies.
Responsible for all technical development, coordination, administration, management and maintenance of METRO’s digital archives stack, including open-source Fedora Repository, Drupal, and Islandora components. Assesses, creates and modifies tools, scripts and applications for access to digital cultural heritage collections. Responsible for designing and implementing new features and functionality, guiding the site’s architecture, ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing all other technical aspects of DCMNY.org. Create local technical documentation. Serve as METRO’s technical contact for Discovery Garden, the service provider currently administering our Islandora installation. Monitor and contribute to collaborative Open Source software projects coordinated by other organizations. Assess and advise on future needs. The Digital Repository Developer will also collaborate with other METRO staff to maintain the technical infrastructure for the office and community space.
- BS in computer science, information systems or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two or more years work experience as a programmer/developer
- Demonstrated experience developing web solutions in Drupal and PHP implementations in a LAMP environment)
- Experience with MySQL or other relational database management system
- Familiarity with XML technologies including XSLT, XPath, XQuery
- Ability to quickly learn and use metadata standards and programming/scripting/markup languages
- Experience with and enthusiasm for open source software
- Ability to manage source code in a revision control system (e.g. Git)
- Familiarity with administration of Linux servers of Linux servers on AWS
- Experience with server optimization for performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including ability to produce technical documentation
- Previous experience or familiarity with Islandora, Hydra, Fedora or similar digital library/institutional repository environments
- 2+ years experience managing a Drupal web environment
- Experience with Drupal 7.x development, including modifying Drupal modules and themes
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules preferred
- Experience with Drush commands
- Experience working with XML, XSLT, XPath/XQuery
- At least two years experience working in a library, archives or other cultural heritage setting
- Knowledge of library and archival metadata standards and schema i.e. MODS, Dublin Core, RDF, PREMIS
Location, salary, benefits
The Digital Repository Developer will be based in our space on East 11th Street in Manhattan, although there will be some opportunity to work remotely. METRO works a flexible 4-5 day/35-hour work-week.
Minimum salary is $75,000, commensurate with experience. METRO offers excellent benefits, retirement plan and leave package, as well as professional development funding. METRO is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be reviewed as received, with a deadline for submission of September 30, 2015.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC