Contract Remote / Telecommute
Created: September 1, 2015
Syracuse University Remote0 other recent jobs
DescriptionQualitative Data Repository (QDR)
Center for Qualitative and Multi-Method Inquiry, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
The Qualitative Data Repository (QDR, www.qdr.org) curates, manages, archives, and preserves digital data (and accompanying documentation) generated through qualitative and multi-method research in the social sciences. QDR also hosts the Methods Coordination Project (https://qdr.syr.edu/mcp), a bibliographic resource covering a range of data-collection techniques and analytic methods employed in the social sciences.
We are looking for a repository developer to join a small, dedicated, entrepreneurial team. This developer will be responsible for designing and building front and back-end solutions to support QDR’s mission, and will play a leading role in developing and maintaining a new Fedora-based repository. The ability to work collaboratively and autonomously are essential.
- Develop and administer a Fedora repository.
- Evaluate both existing and emerging repository software for future development.
- Help ensure that the repository meets standards for trusted long-term preservation.
- Lead integration of existing Drupal site and Islandora middleware with Fedora repository.
- Provide maintenance, and support services for ongoing data curation.
- Provide input to and evaluate work done by third-party development firms contracted by QDR.
- Provide quality assurance for active developments, execute test plans, and resolve bugs and issues.
- Provide timely and thorough technical documentation and keep all documentation current.
- Attend meetings and carry out other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, OR demonstrated experience in software development / engineering.
- Able to manage and maintain a LAMP stack
- Proficiency with SQL, relational databases (e.g. Oracle, MySQL).
- Proficiency with XML and various metadata standards; experience in XML transformations preferred.
- Experience with digital repository architectures
- Proficiency using svc, git, and Github
- Proficiency in software testing
- Proficiency with using and developing with APIs
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff
- Ability to work effectively remotely
- Ability to produce quality documentation
- Experience with Fedora and other repository software, such as DSpace and Eprints.
- Familiarity with best practices in digital preservation, and information systems auditing
- Experience integrating repository software with Islandora, Hydra, and Drupal
- Experience with automated quality assurance software
- Familiarity with social science methods and digital research data
- Experience working in educational institutions
Short-term contract with possibility for long-term contract extension.
20 - 40 hours/week depending on candidate availability and evolving needs.
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
Possibility of remote work; distributed team work environment
How to Apply
Please email the following to email@example.com (including “Repository Developer” in the subject line):
- Salary requirements
- Portfolio (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
Should your application proceed to interview, three direct-employer references will be requested.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC