DescriptionDevOps Engineer, Avalon Media System
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries - PAE3IT
Responsible for the technical design and implementation of a software as a service (SaaS) hosting model for the Avalon Media System software system and for the technical design and implementation of software installation and deployment methodologies for locally-installed instances of Avalon.
Work will include technical evaluation of hosting options; design of a model for deploying Avalon for multiple institutional users; development of system monitoring tools to support problem alerts, usage reporting, and billing; development of tools for rapid deployment of new Avalon instances; integration of Avalon with various authentication and authorization providers; and implementation of change management practices to ensure robust service levels and uptime.
Works as part of the larger Avalon development team, which is distributed between Indiana University and Northwestern University.
Qualifications: Review your qualifications prior to applying to ensure that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Resume and cover letter required.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and three years of experience in Linux/Unix systems administration in a complex multi-server environment that includes programming of complex software systems using Java and/or Ruby. Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following: managing Apache web server software and Passenger or Tomcat web applications containers; application development and deployment best practices and ability to support related infrastructure such as continuous integration, monitoring, version control, automated builds, etc.; and virtual machine environments.
- Expert level knowledge of network and application security best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal including a customer service orientation and ability to interact with a wide variety of diverse individuals and work as part of a cross-institutional team.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills including ability to change priorities as project expands or project needs change; and creativity in identifying complex problems and finding solutions quickly and accurately.
- Possess a mental discipline in resolving software problems; and attention to detail in communicating technical issues and implementing solutions
Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the following: Puppet, Chef, or other configuration management system; Amazon Web Services or other cloud hosting environment; Docker containerized application deployment; Ruby on Rails application development framework; Hydra and/or Fedora digital repository platforms; library systems; audio and video streaming technologies; development and/or administration of open source software; working in a library or academic environment.
Note: This position is initially funded for two years, with potential for renewal.
Avalon Media System is an open source software system, co-developed by the Indiana University Libraries and Northwestern University Library, which enables libraries and archives to more easily provide online access to audio and video collections. Development of Avalon is supported in part by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Applications accepted until September 10, 2015, or until position is filled.
Indiana University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. This institution is also a provider of ADA services.
To apply, please visit Jobs@IU at https://jobs.iu.edu/joblisting/index.cfm?jlnum=14897
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC