DescriptionThe Digital Humanities Specialist (DHS) will develop and manage strategies and infrastructure for curating digital humanities content and data and will author and/or co-author new digital humanities resources or scholarship. Reporting to Assoc. Professor (Religious Studies, College of the Pacific) and the Head of Special Collections (Library), the DHS will work in collaborative, digital research initiatives in the NEH-funded project KELLIA (Koptische/Coptic Electronic Language and Literature International Alliance) and in the William Knox Holt Memorial Library.
The functions listed are representative of duties typically performed by this position. Staff may perform some but not all and/or may be assigned additional duties.
1. Develops and manages strategies and infrastructure for curating digital humanities content and data.
2. Authors/co-authors new digital humanities resources or scholarship.
3. Provides web development and programming for humanities research.
4. Contributes to original research in digital humanities.
5. Contributes to planning and decision-making about KELLIA’s technological development and long-term sustainability.
6. Identifies, recommends, and implements linked open data technologies for humanities research.
7. Identifies, recommends, and implements digital asset management and digital archiving in the Library.
8. Participates in archival processing and reference duties in a special collections environment.
9. Designs forward-facing, interactive digital initiatives, websites, and/or exhibits.
10. Provides library and special collections instruction.
• 1) MA in Digital Humanities OR 2) MLIS from an accredited ALA program or MA in Archival Studies with demonstrated digital/technological training/certification OR 3) MA in a Humanities discipline or related field with demonstrated digital/technological training or certification
• Documented research and/or teaching experience in digital scholarship or pedagogy in a humanities discipline or related field
• Demonstrated experience in web development and programming for research and/or teaching in the humanities or a related field (including archival studies and library and information science)
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
Required skills/knowledge and expertise
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
• Commitment to open access technologies and data for the humanities or a related field
• Proven ability to work collaboratively in team-based initiatives
• Proven ability to contribute to original scholarship in the humanities or a related field
• Enthusiasm to build international and interdisciplinary research partnerships
• Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion
• Knowledge of ancient languages, while welcome, is not a requirement for this position.
Preferred skills/knowledge and expertise
• Demonstrated expertise with data curation techniques for a variety of digitized and born-digital media (text, code, images, music, etc.) and tools (e.g., DSpace, EPrints, Fedora, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience with linked data technologies and methodologies (e.g., JSON, RDF)
• Experience managing CMS and LMS systems
How to apply
Published: Monday, August 31, 2015 00:50 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC