From oral histories and independent films to photographs and maps, digital materials in Marriott Library provide a dynamic glimpse into Utah’s art, history, and culture If you love programming and have a passion for history, the stories of people and the places where they live, consider applying for the DevOps developer position with the Marriott Library. The Library is committed to creating a world class Digital Library that serves the University of Utah, the State of Utah, and people across the globe. As a member of the development team, you will be working with motivated, talented, and personable developers who are constantly working to create and deliver systems that help further the mission of the Library and University of Utah. You will have the freedom to design and execute strategies to help visitors to the library discover something wonderful they didn’t know existed.
• Develop and maintain technological infrastructure for digital library projects, which include delivering and preserving library assets using various content management systems (vendor/Open Source technologies)
• Develop automation and processes to enable teams to deploy, manage, configure, scale, and monitor applications
• Participate in application development meetings; Create re-usable, service based components promoting best practice application architectures and designs
• Assist Systems Administration team in monitoring system logs, optimizing system performance, and responding to after-hours emergencies
• Make recommendations directly related to improving the development and operational support of Marriott Library web properties
Bachelor’s degree in related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). 2 years of experience in web software development or related area.
Department Specific Qualifications:
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty and 2-4 years of experience in developing complex web applications or in a related area
• Knowledge and experience working with digital asset management systems
• Strong organizational, interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Experience working with library or repository systems and library metadata standards
• Experience using Ruby on Rails framework
• 2 + years of Linux experience. Virtual and hardware server management
• Experience working with Apache Tomcat, Jetty, Ruby, Apache Solr, MySQL, PHP, and Git
• Familiarity and working knowledge of the Hydra Framework
• Experience working and contributing code to Open Source projects
• Familiarity with Development processes and Agile methodology
• Knowledge of library information systems
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Special Instructions Summary
For full consideration, please apply by August 16, 2015
When prompted to do so, please provide three (3) professional references.
This is a local recruitment. Out of area candidates will be responsible for travel costs for final in-person interviews and for moving costs, if selected.
How to apply
Published: Friday, July 31, 2015 19:07 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC