DescriptionCompetition # 15.07.070
MacEwan University inspires students through a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences. Located in culturally enriched, downtown Edmonton, our comprehensive undergraduate university offers over 65 programs to 19,000 full- and part-time students. With a dedication to teaching excellence informed by scholarly research and creative activity, MacEwan provides an exceptional collaborative and supportive learning environment with a commitment to environmental sustainability and opportunities for community engagement. In support of faculty professional development, unique and enhanced services are provided through the Centre for the Advancement of Faculty Excellence (CAFÉ).
MacEwan University Library invites applications for a full-time probationary Librarian appointment at the City Centre Campus. The successful applicant will be innovative and creative, providing leadership and direction in the development and implementation of leading edge user centered digital library services. Working collaboratively with the library technology team, other library colleagues, as well as campus departments and external partners, the successful candidate will participate in digital projects that further the Library’s mission to incorporate new and innovative technologies which enhance access to resources and services.
MacEwan Library currently deploys a number of access and empowerment tools in an integrated web presence, bringing together borrower information, electronic reserves, library guides, interactive help, interlibrary loan, unified discovery, link resolving and media streaming. Centralized authentication and proxy access to resources forms the core of these digital services. We support research and publication through an institutional repository, digital archives, and an open journal system.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead the development and implementation of library digital services in collaboration with stakeholders
- Develop business cases for library technology initiatives
- Develop project charters and implementation plans, and manage projects through their lifecycle
- Serve as team lead of the library technology unit, setting priorities and coordinating work flow
- Explore and assess new digital applications maintaining awareness of best practices related to information technology in libraries
- Provide ongoing conceptual development of the library website
- Lead an internal library web advisory stakeholder group
- Design, develop, and implement solutions that integrate existing library discovery tools with new technologies and approaches (such as open source software solutions, APIs) to create a seamless discovery experience
- Participate in library, university, and external committees
- Participate in the delivery of reference and instructional services
Other desired qualities and experience:
- Demonstrated record of success leading technology projects
- Demonstrated experience with content management systems such as Drupal
- Have awareness of usability, accessibility and user experience best practices and standards
- Have proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and to lead teams
- Knowledge and understanding of emerging trends and issues related to digital scholarship, access and preservation of digital collections, data curation, discovery services, web applications and design, and instructional media
- Self-directed and flexible, with the ability to work independently
- Superior oral and written communication skills along with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong commitment to professional development and service to the profession
This position is included under the Faculty Association collective agreement. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A review of applications will begin August 26, 2015.
How to Apply:
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting. Closing date: August 23, 2015.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
For general inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC