Head of Digital Media Software Development
Created: July 16, 2015
Indiana University Bloomington Bloomington0 other recent jobs
DescriptionHead of Digital Media Software Development
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries - PAE4IT
Manages the software development team working on the Avalon Media System project and provides technical, architectural, and project management leadership for Avalon and other selected software projects within the Library Technologies division of the Indiana University Libraries.
Directly manages a team of programmer/analysts working in collaboration with developers at Northwestern University and other partner institutions to create the Avalon Media System; and plays a software architect, high-level technical design, and project management role on other projects as needed. Manages and schedules software development projects and team members’ assignments based on organizational priorities, estimating time and resources for software development activities, mentoring and assisting in the professional development of staff, and directing and participating in requirements analysis, architecture, design, coding, testing, deployment, and support of software systems. Serves as a member of the Library Technologies management team and participates in organization and unit-wide planning initiatives; and serves as a lead contributor to national and international consortial and collaborative efforts, including the Hydra and Fedora open source digital repository communities.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and five years of experience in the design and development of complex software systems including three years in a lead developer or architect role and two years managing software development team(s). Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
• Knowledge of and experience with developing complex web applications using Java or Ruby on Rails, relational databases, and XML.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal including ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals and work as part of a team.
• Master’s degree
• Scrum or other Agile software development methodology experience
• Experience working with library or repository systems, library metadata standards, Unix/Linux system administration, Amazon Web Services or other cloud hosting environments, and digital audio and video.
Avalon Media System (http://avalonmediasystem.org/) is an open source software system, based on Hydra and Fedora digital repository technologies, that enables libraries and archives to more easily provide online access to audio and video collections. Avalon is being co-developed by Indiana University and Northwestern University, with support in part from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and Institute of Museum and Library Services, and is a key component of Indiana University’s Media Digitization and Preservation Initiative (http://mdpi.iu.edu/).
Indiana University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. This institution is also a provider of ADA services.
To apply, please visit Jobs@IU at https://jobs.iu.edu/joblisting/index.cfm?jlnum=14456
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC