Library Applications & Operations Developer
Created: June 24, 2015
Tri-College Library Consortium Swarthmore0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Tri-College Library Consortium (comprised of Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges) seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, and inquisitive Library Applications & Operations Developer to join our team and help move the Tri-Co Libraries forward as a leading academic library consortium.
Reporting to the Tri-College Library Technology Coordinator and based out of Swarthmore College, the Library Applications & Operations Developer works in a team-oriented environment to develop the applications and systems operation of the Tri-College Library Consortium, with the aim of connecting users to library content and extending and enhancing library services.
S/he designs, implements, administers, tests, and documents features and functionality for LAMP applications, chiefly the catalog discovery service, to facilitate access to library resources and to support consortial staff initiatives. S/he manages the configuration of Apache HTTP Servers, virtual servers, and library application development environments. S/he optimizes production environments, administers version control software and workflows, and documents deployment procedures. S/he develops, optimizes, and coordinates lifecycle development processes and strategies for redundancy, fail-over, and optimal caching. S/he provides technical leadership by helping guide the Consortium on technical solutions, efficiencies, new tools, languages, development environments, and deployment paradigms.
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a minimum two years experience in evaluating, developing, and maintaining information applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with optimizing back-end operations, such as creating development environments and deployment strategies and tuning databases.
- Experience with Linux and/or Unix environments and related server technologies, such as Apache HTTP Server.
- Experience with database application configuration, such as MySQL and/or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with indexing search platform configuration, such as Apache Solr and/or Elasticsearch.
- Experience with administering revision control software and workflows, such as Git or Apache Subversion.
- Advanced Degree in Computer or Information Science or related field.
- Experience in an academic, library, or archives environment.
- Familiarity with and demonstrated interest in academic library technologies and discovery systems.
- Familiarity with authentication and web security protocols, such as Shibboleth, LDAP, and SSL.
- Working knowledge of Web development, design, frameworks, and standards, including HTML, CSS, responsive design principles and frameworks.
- Working knowledge of data encoding standards and translation languages, such as XML, XSLT, XPath, XQuery, and JSON.
- Additional programming language experience with either Python, Java, Perl, or Ruby.
In addition to the listed qualifications, the successful candidate will thrive in an environment of varied opportunities, including supporting the ever-changing needs of the Tri-Co academic community; collaborating with library and IT colleagues from Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges; and participating in strategic discussions. S/he will be a creative problem-solver who is excited by new challenges and learning opportunities. S/he will be personable and have a good sense of humor!
This position requires regular travel to Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges, expenses for which are reimbursed.
Salary is competitive and comes with a generous benefits package, which may be reviewed at http://www.swarthmore.edu/human-resources/benefits.
Review of applications will begin on July 20, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. All applicant packets must include an updated resume and cover letter.
The Tri-College Libraries actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 16:19 UTC