DescriptionMichigan Technological University’s Van Pelt and Opie Library welcomes applications for the position of web developer. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a wide variety of library technologies to provide exceptional service to the various constituents that utilize library services both in-building and remotely. Emphasis is placed on creating innovative interfaces and digital media solutions that work seamlessly to provide a highly interactive experience. Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disability.
To apply, visit: http://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/3184
Learn more about Michigan Tech and Houghton, Michigan:
Community Profile: http://www.mtu.edu/community/
Campus Profile: http://www.mtu.edu/campus/
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Provide leadership in the development and further integration of existing web applications to provide library users effective methods of interacting with the library and its resources.
2. Implement and integrate new web applications into the library’s web presence as indicated by needs for improvement or innovation.
3. Utilize the university’s content management system to maintain, update, and develop the core library website.
4. Develop and implement innovative methods to provide interoperability/integration among the library’s wide-variety of online services and applications.
5. Provide technical leadership for the library’s digital signage initiatives.
6. Participate in the design and conduct of evidence-based approaches for continuous improvement including usability studies, analytics and reporting.
7. Demonstrate effective skills to communicate the status of work and input needed in a timely manner.
8. Develop and supervise student assistants that support routine web and digital signage updates.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which applicable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● 2 years professional experience working in web development or a similar field.
● Experience working effectively and harmoniously in a team-based environment.
● Experience working independently to achieve results within a highly collaborative environment.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Experience integrating a variety of web applications and platforms utilizing APIs and/or web services or other common methods used to consume a variety of data sources.
● Experience working in an academic environment.
● Experience working in an academic library.
● Experience designing and conducting usability tests and/or utilizing web analytics reporting tools.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
● Expertise with HTML and CSS.
● Demonstrated experience with at least one web programming language (e.g., PHP, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby).
● Experience in using and interpreting web standards (browsers, accessibility, and validity).
● Proficiency with Macintosh, Windows and Linux/UNIX environments.
● Commitment to clear and concise documentation.
● Commitment to effective time management.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
● Commitment to proactive continuous quality improvement in everyday work and organizational/institutional quality initiatives.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated knowledge of CMS theory.
● Demonstrated understanding of user interface and user experience principles.
● Experience programming with Ajax.
● Experience configuring and using database software such as mySQL
● Experience with XML and XSLT.
● Experience with common library systems such as an ILS, link resolver, discovery layer, repositories.
● Experience with a digital signage system or solution.
● Previous supervisory experience.
● Exceptional communication skills.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC