Excuse the cross-posting:
-------------- Web Librarian --------------
Tenure-track appointment at the Senior Assistant Librarian level (beginning salary $51,852).
The California State University San Marcos Library is seeking a creative, energetic librarian to provide vision and leadership in designing, developing, and supporting the Library's virtual presence. The Web Librarian is responsible for all aspects of the Library's website. The goal is a dynamic, interactive environment that integrates a variety of disparate library technologies seamlessly into a highly usable website focused on student learning and research. Currently, the position primarily supports provision of traditional library services and resources in the online environment. Growing areas of interest are facilitating design of effective online instruction, providing user customization and social features, and increased support of multimedia environments.
Cal State San Marcos is a young, growing campus, and the Library is at the cutting-edge of technology. This position offers a great deal of creative freedom, and the Library is looking for a visionary, self-motivated individual who is, at the same time, able to build consensus and communicate effectively with librarians and staff to collaboratively design and offer innovative, new digital library services to our community.
The position involves understanding principles of library science, information architecture, pedagogy, and human/computer interface issues, particularly user search behaviors. Technical responsibilities include web design, site development and maintenance, some programming and database work, graphic design, and multimedia development. The position has a variety of project management responsibilities including coordinating task groups, facilitating communication, developing project specifications, and conducting project evaluations. Staff training and active involvement with students in a reference or instructional role is expected.
1. Collaborate with library faculty and staff to articulate a vision and develop strategic plans for the library websites and web-based services. Effectively manage projects with the involvement of colleagues, users and other stakeholders.
2. Design websites to enable students to effectively use library services and resources for their learning and research needs. Apply principles of usability and accessibility to develop effective site interfaces and navigation structures. Make effective use of graphics and multimedia to convey information in a complex environment. Support design of online instruction based on current learning theories and instructional technologies.
3. As webmaster for library websites, coordinate content development, evaluate content and services, develop guidelines and standards, and manage the daily maintenance of the websites. Instruct and support library faculty and staff in their work on the web. Develop written tutorials and other documentation to support use of the website.
4. Build a robust website infrastructure using web authoring, scripting, mark-up languages and relational database tools. Provide a seamless web environment and integrate various library applications and services using current linking, metasearch, and other web technologies.
5. Anticipate web trends, investigate their application to the academic library and develop new web-based services.
6. Work on a regular basis with students in a reference or instructional capacity.
7. Meet faculty tenure obligations, including developing a research agenda, publishing, and serving on library, university, and/or national committees.
* ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent.
* Demonstrated knowledge of effective web interface design, information architecture, human/computer interface (HCI) theory and accessibility. Experience conducting usability studies and other user interface design testing.
* Demonstrated ability to build effective websites using state-of-the-art development tools.
* Ability to adapt in fast-changing environments. Innovative with a willingness to take risks and consider new and untested approaches and use creative problem-solving skills. Demonstrated ability to seek out and learn new technology.
* Knowledge of best practices, standards, issues and trends relevant to web and information technology in academic libraries.
* Demonstrated commitment to working with and serving people. Ability to inspire a shared vision and work effectively with colleagues, students and faculty in a collegial environment.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to meet tenure requirements and desire to play a visible role in the academic community. Qualifications Desired
* Demonstrated experience in web interface design, site management, or content development.
* Demonstrated skill with web authoring tools, scripting and mark-up languages, and relational databases to create dynamic web pages.
* Demonstrated experience with library technology integration using linking tools (such as SFX, Metalib) and Web 2.0 technologies.
* Education or background in computer science or web development.
* Demonstrated experience in instruction and reference. Knowledge of learning theories, especially as they apply to the online environment. Experience developing online learning resources and environments for instruction.
* Demonstrated experience with image and multimedia production.
* Demonstrated experience with project management and strong conceptual and analytic skills in solving complex analytical problems.
* Experience or knowledge in exciting, new library technologies such as RSS feeds or use of gaming in instruction.
CSU San Marcos is an Equal Opportunity/ Title IX Employer. The University has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, members of minority groups and people with disabilities. Send letter of application addressing the qualifications, resume, and names of three references to: Marion T. Reid, Dean, Library. CSU San Marcos, San Marcos, CA, 92096-0001, or letter of application, resume and names of three references may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications begins March 13th, 2007. Position open until filled.
------------------- David Walker Library Web Services Manager California State University http://xerxes.calstate.edu
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 14:05 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:48 UTC