Web Services Senior Developer
Created: March 3, 2015
New York University New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionNew York University, Division of Libraries is enthusiastically seeking a Web Services Senior Developer. The Web Services Senior Developer serves as a major collaborator with the User Experience department and other Libraries units to plan, design, program, test and implement web based library infornormation and service initiatives in which vendor based systems â?? Primo Discovery, Aleph ILS (Ex Libris Group, Inc.) and third party open source tools are core components.
• Work with Library staff to envision, design and implement library search, discovery, and delivery and research tools in an increasingly integrated online environment to meet the 21st century demands of students, faculty, scholars and researchers at NYU.
• The Senior Web Developer will work with a small group of developers to specify, program and test web based library services using current web based approaches such as Agile development techniques, cloud services, Ruby-on-Rails, etc.
• The Senior Developer will ensure that new services and systems inter operate with library and university systems both current and planned including single sign-on capability and integration into the University's Shibboleth authentication environment. The Senior Developer will remain up-to-date on current practices and trends related to academic library search/discovery and research tool development through attending workshops, seminars, classes and conference and interacting with other professionals in this arena.
• The Sr. Web Developer will coordinate the technical skills of the web development team and work with the Associate Dean of I.T./Univ. Media Services to align development work with the strategic and operational priorities of the Division of Libraries.
Required Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, mathematics, information/computer systems
• Proven knowledge/skill in specifying and programming complex web applications.
• Experience with UNIX and Intel/MAC platforms.
• Understanding of networking and security requirements for web based applications.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills as well as demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent planning, project management and problem solving skills.
• Knowledge of current and emerging web technologies and strategies (Agile computing, Cloud computing, etc.)
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Master's degree in computer science with a specialization in web and application development.
• Five (5) years development experience, including experience in higher education or an academic research library or as a web developer.
• Knowledge of research library services and systems. Familiarity with complexities/challenges in the world of search/retrieval/discovery of information.
New York University Libraries: Libraries at New York University serve the school’s 40,000 students and faculty and contain more than 5 million volumes. The Libraries supports NYU’s vision to become the first true Global Network University by collaborating and providing services to our global academic centers and “portal campuses” in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. New York University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the OCLC Research Library Partnership, and the HathiTrust. The Libraries participates in a variety of consortia and collaborates closely with Columbia University Libraries and the New York Public Library through the Manhattan Research Library Consortium. For the NYU Libraries Mission and Strategic Plan go to http://library.nyu.edu/about/Strategic_Plan.pdf
Salary/Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience and background. NYU offers a generous benefit package including 22 days of vacation annually.
To Apply: Interested candidates are requested to submit a letter of application that specifically states how background and experiences are relevant to the position responsibilities and qualifications; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references.
Please apply through NYU's application management system. Please click on the following link or copy and paste it onto your browser:
We accept online applications only.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC