Director, Library Information Technology Services
Created: February 24, 2015
Kansas State University Manhattan0 other recent jobs
DescriptionKansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for the position of Director, Library Information Technology Services. This new position will be responsible for applying leadership skills and technical expertise to the ongoing development of a flexible, sustainable, and reliable information technology environment in support of library operations and services as well as the advancement of new technologies as they apply to learning and research initiatives of the Libraries. The director will directly supervise 7 FTE staff and collaborate with librarians, faculty, and staff to advance K-State 2025, the university’s strategic plan. The incumbent will also serve as a member of the Libraries’ Administrative Team and Strategic Leadership Council.
The Libraries operate in both a UNIX and Windows system environment, in collaboration with the University’s central IT staff and independently. A combination of in-house and cloud-based services is utilized to support both proprietary and open-source applications such as DSpace, Voyager (Integrated Library System), Omeka, Drupal, and Archon. The Libraries will be implementing the Ex Libris Alma resource management system in 2015.
This is a full-time professional position reporting to the Dean of Libraries. To be successful in this position, the incumbent must demonstrate excellent interpersonal, customer service, communication and organizational skills to establish and maintain productive working relationships.
- Lead strategic and comprehensive development and planning for the Libraries’ IT architecture and services
- Coordinate, develop, maintain, analyze and execute existing and emerging IT services including local and cloud based network and platform infrastructure management and support; staff desktop support; web environment; discovery and access systems; search engine systems; business systems; digital initiatives including an institutional repository, electronic press, and growing array of digital collections; instructional technology and learning management systems; digital preservation and data management.
- Engage and stay current on information technology and digital library trends, developments, applications, and industry standards in order to ensure K-State Libraries adapt and evolve with technological change and advancement.
- Develop and maintain a knowledgeable and productive staff by overseeing and mentoring the supervision and training in the unit, providing oversight for all personnel action, and providing opportunities for educational and experiential growth of unit staff.
- Represent the Libraries with campus IT Services, regional consortia, and other relevant organizations.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive vendor relations.
- Function as the primary systems and programming expert for the Libraries.
- Manage the unit budget and ensure effective use of allocated funds in light of library priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or other relevant field
- Five years of IT experience
- Experience in an academic/research library or other area of higher education
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in library and educational technology in higher education
- A record of progressive experience in IT leadership
- Proven expertise with current technologies, platforms, and products that support library information technology such as UNIX, Windows and Apple computer and server operating systems; database programming and querying; and web site design and development; markup and scripting languages (e.g., Perl), and the use of Google Analytics and other web analytics.
- Demonstrated project management, analytical and problem-solving skills in an environment requiring attention to planning and assessment
- Record of successful innovation in applications of information technology
- Demonstrated successful human and financial resource management experience
- Demonstrated experience working with commercial vendors of hardware, software, and other related products and services
- Post-baccalaureate degree in library and information science, computer science, or related field
- Experience with library systems and applications
- Experience with interface design and usability testing
- Experience with institutional repositories and other digital library systems
Kansas State University Libraries and the Community
Kansas State University Libraries strives to develop a diverse, talented team dedicated to providing professional and innovative services to our communities. The Libraries advance the University’s teaching, research, and service with 3 million volumes and collection strengths in the subject areas of cookery, the consumer movement, military history, biosecurity, food safety, grain science and milling, prairie studies, historic costume and textiles, and children's literature. For more information about the Libraries’ long-range goals, applicants are encouraged to review the Libraries’ strategic plan.
Affectionately nicknamed “The Little Apple,” Manhattan is a rapidly developing community located in the scenic Flint Hills region of Kansas. A classic college town featuring Big XII sports, our community also offers superb outdoor recreation and a year-round slate of cultural attractions. Forbes Magazine has rated Manhattan #1 for “Best Small Places for Business and Careers.” Manhattan’s highly regarded public school system and excellent parks contribute to its reputation as an outstanding place. Manhattan is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City, and the regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
The Libraries aim to attract exceptional talent, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience.
Combine the following documents into a single PDF file and send to email@example.com, attention Michelle Bowen. Please include DIR_LITS in the subject line:
1. A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
2. A resume.
3. Names and contact information for three references.
Application deadline April 3, 2015.
Kansas State University is an EOE of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Background check required. Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC