DescriptionThe New York Times is looking for an extraordinary individual to serve as our Sr. Manager for Search Technology. The Times search team works on an an incredibly cool problem. Every month our users make millions queries against an archive of over sixteen million articles. For every query we must identify, rank and return the most relevant articles. And we have to do this in milliseconds. Our solution involves everything from natural language processing to distributed systems to serious data science. As the team’s Sr. Manager, you will have responsibility for all of the systems that power search on nytimes.com, managing the search team and articulating a vision for the future of news search at The Times. If you are an experienced search technologist and technical leader looking for a high-profile opportunity to work on some of the world’s most interesting search problems, please apply to join us!
As part of the search team team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that promotes innovation -- nestled within an established and respected institution. Inside our new midtown building, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of whiteboards, a sushi chef, and a technical staff with both a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful systems. Moreover we stand behind and respect people with a passion for tackling the hard problems, and we have the resources to do so.
We offer a highly competitive salary and an impressive array of benefits, including comprehensive health coverage, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase plan, tuition assistance, and a bonus plan.
- Building and mentoring a high performing team of search developers responsible for both the search platform and the metadata processes that support this platform.
- Collaborating with stakeholders across the organization to balance priorities and support the company’s strategic goals.
- Participating as a strong voice in strategic technical discussions
- Practicing servant-leadership by mastering the systems you manage, so that you can roll up your sleeves and contribute code to even the trickiest tasks.
- Advocating for a collaborative team culture that empowers individuals
- Leveraging the latest innovations in natural language processing, data science, machine learning and distributed systems to build out our search systems.
- Innovating solutions to the many search challenges unique to one of the web’s most popular news sources.
- Optimizing our systems for scalability, speed, high availability, minimal footprint
- Designing the infrastructure on which our systems run.
- Collaborating with your colleagues across the company’s technology, business and newsroom departments.
- Previous experience as a technical manager
- A passion for information retrieval.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Unix / Linux proficiency
- 3-5+ years experience programming in either Python, C++ or Java
- Solid understanding of distributed, scalable web application architecture
- Fundamentals of software design, coupled with a deep understanding of object-oriented software and design patterns
- Experience with full product lifecycles, rapid prototyping, and iterative product development
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Mongo and Lucene a huge plus.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 18:40 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC