DescriptionDigital Services Librarian (Western Connecticut State University, Connecticut)
Assistant Librarian - Tenure Track
Ruth A. Haas Library
Western Connecticut State University is pleased to announce that applications are currently being accepted for a full-time, tenure-track Digital Services Librarian position in the Ruth A. Haas Library. The Digital Services Librarian plays a leadership role in the Library’s digital initiatives by promoting and supporting the integration of digital resources and methodologies with traditional approaches to research, teaching, and learning. Additional responsibilities include designing and managing library web presence and interfaces, managing metadata and cataloging processes, and compiling and analyzing web statistics and user experience data. The Digital Services Librarian will also administer a variety of virtual and physical environments, including proxy servers, storage servers, and production servers. S/he will also serve as a subject liaison to one or more academic disciplines including collection management, research assistance, reference, and instructional activities. The Digital Services Librarian collaborates with Acquisitions, Archives & Special Collections, and other departments to help establish metadata policies and procedures for digital projects. The individual selected for this position will serve as a forward-thinking leader within and beyond Library Technical Services on matters of resource description and metadata management. For more information, please visit www.wcsu.edu/campustour/haas.asp
- Candidates must possess a Masters in Library or Information Sciences from an ALA accredited program and at least three years’ related professional experience.
- Experience with website design and information architecture is required along with demonstrated knowledge and experience with technologies and standards used in web design and publishing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends and issues in user experience design and library technologies is required.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills are required as are demonstrated problem solving skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team environment by setting and following through on both individual and team priorities along with the willingness to share expertise with colleagues is required.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to learn new technologies and adapt to changes in the profession is required.
- Strong service orientation and awareness of end user needs are required in order to be successful in the position.
- The successful candidate will possess practical knowledge of and experience with a range of tools for the analysis and display of information, such as online exhibit tools, social media, data visualization, geospatial analysis, encoding and text mining, programming and scripting languages, format conversion and editing protocols and tools, graphic design, relational databases, metadata schema, and open web standards.
- Preference will be given to candidates with project management experience and demonstrated success in working collaboratively with a variety of constituencies, knowledge of web accessibility standards, and familiarity with Library management Systems, OCLC, and other bibliographic utilities.
- As Western is a dynamic, diverse workplace, the proven ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures is highly valued.
Minimum Starting Salary: $59,668; WCSU offers competitive salary commensurate with the candidate’s experience and a comprehensive benefit package. Additional information can be found on our website at www.wcsu.edu/hr/benefits
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 6, 2015. All documents should be combined in a single PDF document. Late applications will not be accepted. Reference search #600-266 in the subject line.
Western is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Educator/Employer
Published: Sunday, February 8, 2015 18:41 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC