Electronic Publishing Programmer
Created: February 4, 2015
University of Michigan Ann Arbor0 other recent jobs
DescriptionHow to Apply
Submit applications via http://umjobs.org/job_detail/105906/programmer
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Library is seeking an electronic publishing programmer to design, build, and maintain web sites, systems, services, and applications in support of new models in academic publishing. The ideal candidate will possess a strong knowledge of and demonstrate experience with object-oriented programming languages, web frameworks, and current best practices in code design and web technologies.
We are looking for developers who are engaged with project goals, who thrive on interaction with users and stakeholders, and who want to shape and build the future of scholarly publishing. The electronic publishing programmer will have a passion for progressive web development, automated text processing, data mining, and information retrieval.
The University of Michigan Library is one of the world's largest academic research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to 19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research expenditures approaching $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university's world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects, preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all existing and emerging forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in the digital age.
The library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work and towards the fulfillment of the library's mission.
Note: This is a two year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Application development (including design, testing, and maintenance) for web-based publishing platforms and back-office systems.
- Communications with stakeholders and peer developers regarding project management and documentation.
- Data analysis and reporting.
- Self directed technological research and learning.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience and comfort with working in groups.
- Demonstrated programming skills in a modern programming language.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to discuss why we develop what we develop.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- Prefer 2 years experience relevant to job duties.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, JRuby, Git, MySQL, JQuery, XSLT, Perl, PHP, RESTful APIs, and test-driven development
- Experience with Unix/Linux
- Familiarity with Hydra/Fedora
- Demonstrated understanding of current web standards as recommended by W3C including accessibility standards and cross-browser issues.
- Experience designing effective user interfaces using HTML5 and CSS3
- Experience working in the publishing, library, or other information industries.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC