Head of Technology (Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
Created: January 27, 2015
Yale University New Haven1 other recent jobs
DescriptionPosition Focus: Reporting to the Director of the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, the Head of Technology provides vision, leadership, and strategic direction for all aspects of library technology at the Beinecke. The Head directs software planning, development and deployment; technology infrastructure planning, implementation and support; and database technologies for the Beinecke Library. Represents the Beinecke Library’s technology interests within the University Library and broader University and collaborates closely with these departments to support the mission of the Beinecke Library.
Provides strategic and tactical analysis concerning the Beinecke Library’s technology requirements and goals based on a strong understanding of industry trends and the higher education environment. Works collaboratively with Beinecke Library staff to develop requirements for technology-based tools and productivity enhancements in support of Beinecke’s strategic plans and programs for user services. Fills in for and assists direct reports on an as needed basis.
Leads efforts to develop technology-based tools designed to enrich the research experience of patrons of the Beinecke Library. Directs the development or acquisition and implementation of software for the Beinecke Library, including client-server database applications as well as web-based systems and applications. Serves as a leader in project and task prioritization as it relates to IT requests across the different units in the Beinecke.
Working closely with University Library IT and University IT, is responsible for and takes a lead role in maintaining servers that support Beinecke-centric applications. This includes web servers, database servers, and workflow production servers.
In collaboration with the Head of Digital Services, oversees and supports the computing infrastructure, storage, and workflow automation in use by the Beinecke Library’s digital scanning operation and explores opportunities for continuous improvement.
Collaborates closely with staff in the Library and University ITS on matters of campus-wide strategy, planning, and implementation related to the life cycle management of digital content and the development of new services associated with access to the Beinecke Library’s digital content.
Supports library wide efforts to develop technologies that measure and analyze metrics that emphasize performance, sustainability, and usability of tools and platforms.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant technical field and six years of related technical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrable interpersonal, analytical, and project management skills in a service-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze problems, especially in the context of technology initiatives related to special collections.
- Excellent management skills with a strong commitment to fostering growth and development of others. Demonstrated ability in working with large-scale transition management, and workflow analysis and improvement.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux or Windows server implementation and administration, database planning, development, implementation, and administration; experience with software development for networked and web applications, including database-driven web application programming and development
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively to develop productive partnerships within/across organizations. Effective ability in developing innovative processes and solutions with a team-based approach.
Yale University assigns ranks to librarian positions based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments (see range assigned to this description as noted in the posting position title). Librarian ranking information can be found at www.library.yale.edu/about/departments/lhr/rank.html.
For additional information on the Yale University Library please visit www.library.yale.edu or www.library.yale.edu/beinecke.
How to apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications, consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be submitted by applying online at www.yale.edu/jobs. The STARS req. ID for this position is 28736BR. Please be sure to reference 28736BR in your cover letter.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC