This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced developer to join a growing team in the area of Digital Scholarship and Technology at Florida State University Libraries as Lead Developer. The successful applicant will have programming responsibilities for the library’s website, the digital library, the Institutional Repository, as well as general programming needs that arise. It is anticipated that this new area in the Florida State University Libraries will evolve into a larger programming and web developmentteam over time. As the Lead Developer, this position will be responsible for leading the programming and web development team and will report to the Associate Dean for Digital Scholarship and Technology Services.
- Provides programming/scripting for technical development and maintenance of the library website, digital library applications, Aleph ILS and other systems as needed.
- Works closely with members of the library faculty and staff to identify and help solve unmet needs. Implements new tools, user interfaces, and applications in a variety of programming languages.
- Responsible for the administration of the Library’s website, which will involve planning and implementing a move to Drupal.
- Responsible for supervision of one full time librarian. May also include supervision of graduate assistants, student workers, and new full-time permanent positions as projects evolve.
- Advises on selection and lead’s the technical implementation of a new digital library platform, transitioning from DigiTool.
- Develops other library applications as needed, i.e. computer availability maps, stacks maps, etc.
- Participates in goal setting and project planning, including the development and implementation of grant proposals.
- BS in computer science, information systems or a related field.
- 4+ years of post-degree experience as a programmer/developer.
Demonstrated experience managing a Drupal web environment.
- Ability to manage source code in a revision control system such as Subversion or Git.
- Experience with Fedora, DSpace or similar digital library/IR environments.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Two years of progressively responsible team leadership or management experience in an information environment.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities, including the documentation of code.
- Experience working in an academic library, digital library or web environment.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Library/Information Science or related field.
- 2+ years in managing a Drupal web environment.
- 2+ years working in a Digital Library development environment.
- Five or more years of progressive supervisory or management experience.
- Knowledge of metadata schemas such as Dublin Core, METS, MODS, PREMIS, RDF.
- Grant writing/management.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC
How to apply
XSL Transformations XML Ruby Preservation Metadata: Implementation Strategies PostgreSQL PHP MySQL METS jQuery Java Git Fedora Repository Architecture Ex Libris Group DSpace Drupal Cascading Style Sheets
Published: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 01:32 UTC