Video Archivist/Media Manager
Created: December 1, 2014
Al Jazeera New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionAl Jazeera America is looking to hiring a Video Archivist. The Archivist will produce, handle, and store edited and unedited video and media including meta-tagging, archive structure and taxonomy development, and documentation of archival protocols.
- Perform original cataloging for Al Jazeera America pkgs, raw/broll, and Programs based on Al Jazeera Archives Cataloging Policy.
- Support various News and Program Producers in the creation of News packages and long form Program stories by providing detailed video research requests.
- Evaluate, select, sort, process, catalog, and archive media assets on hourly, daily, and weekly schedules. Ensures metadata accuracy, supplements records as needed.
- Adhere to the Al Jazeera Archives General Operating Policy, and any current or future Al Jazeera Archives Policies.
- Assist in the further development and execution of cataloging procedures and workflows as needed, and directed.
- Significant knowledge and interest in National and International news and events (both current and historic).
- Ability to perform generic and specific, historic and investigative video research; ability to identify, verify, and differentiate a variety of visual information and details within video content.
- Proficiency in managing files and file transfers across local and remote servers and storage networks, including naming conventions, and version control. Experience in file-based digital repositories.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with video file formats and properties, and video transcoding principles. Familiarity with media asset life cycles in a production environment. Understanding of the components and stages of news production. Experience or familiarity with Production/Media Asset Management systems.
- Proficiency in cataloging time-based material. Attention to detail, and ability to maintain accuracy and precision across multiple records. Prior experience in cataloging media assets in one or more large scale databases.
- Knowledge and understanding of various recognized standards for describing media assets.
- Familiarity and understanding of Knowledge Management principles for organizing large information sets across enterprise systems. Experience using or creating controlled vocabularies or taxonomies in one or more subject specific areas.
- Proficiency and adaptability in extracting, mapping, normalizing, and migrating data across various programs, applications, and/or platforms. Understanding of information arrangement for, or experience in, building relational databases.
- Ability to assess and adjust attention to assigned workflows as needed. Ability to suggest and provide alternatives to workflows when needed. Ability to communicate, collaborate, and problem solve.
- Ability to work individually and in multiple groups, on multiple time-tables in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to maintain focus and professionalism, and negotiate needs and personalities in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work in a 24/7 shift based environment, with possible weekend or overnights shifts if necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Graduate studies in Library and Information Sciences, and/or Archival Studies.
- Use and familiarity with the AVID Suite (iNews, Access, Central, Media Composer/Newscutter)
- Efficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC