DescriptionThe Technology Coordinator plans and implements the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Greater Midwest Region (GMR) technology awareness program in consultation with other GMR staff. The NN/LM is a network of libraries and information centers in the U.S. that provides health professionals and consumers with timely and convenient access to biomedical and health care information resources. As the recipient of the NN/LM GMR contract, the UIC Library of the Health Sciences serves as the Regional Medical Library (RML) for a ten state regional network consisting of 1100 members. This position serves as the functional technology lead for the GMR, oversees technical development of the GMR Web site, and acts as a consultant to Network members on technology issues.
- Develop goals and objectives for NN/LM GMR programs relating to technology in consultation with other GMR staff. Implement technology program. Evaluate and report on progress toward meeting program goals and objectives.
- Promote awareness and use of new technologies to support improved access to electronic health information resources for librarians, health professionals, and the public through communication, educational sessions (webinars, classes, etc.), and other venues.
- Monitor industry trends to identify emerging technologies with potential applications for GMR member libraries and develop strategies for raising awareness of these technologies.
- Serve as consultant to network members for Internet access and connectiServe as the GMR contact librarian for one or more states in the GMR region.
- Responsible for management and usability of the web site. Provide guidance for the technical development and maintenance of the GMR Web site. Provide oversight of Section 508 compliance for the GMR Web site and web based publications.
- Serve as liaison to the recipients of Technology Improvement awards and recipients of other appropriate awards, monitoring progress of projects and assuring that final reports are entered into the NN/LM Portal.
- Serve as the GMR liaison to the Technology Working Group and the Emergency Preparedness Working Group
- Serve as the liaison to the National Network Office, Web-STOC (Web Services Technology Operations Center), and NN/LM for programs related to technology.
- Participate in the Web Developers Group and in the development, maintenance, and administration of the GMR Web site and the NN/LM Intranet.
- Serve as the back-up Portal Administrator for the GMR.
- May teach classes on specialized topics.
- Select hardware and software for the NN/LM National Training room and provide consultation to the UIC Library Systems department regarding maintenance and upgrading of equipment in that room.
Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
Job Knowledge & Skills, Education, Experience:
- Master's degree in Library/Information Sciences from an American Library Association accredited program.
- Two years’ experience in libraries, preferably health sciences libraries.
- Demonstrated knowledge of web design.
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Experience with a variety of operating and network systems.
- Ability to be flexible and creative.
- Ability to function effectively with groups within the GMR office and with network members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Able to transport and set up exhibit materials.
- Experience with NLM databases and services.
- Teaching and curriculum development experience, experience with distance education instruction preferred.
Published: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 15:25 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC