DescriptionThe Manager of Collection Information manages all aspects of the Museum's collections
management system (TMS) and its implementation. This position has primary responsibility for managing the Museum's collection cataloguing system, and plays a critical role in the
development, maintenance, and use of collection information. Working closely with Museum
staff in Curatorial, Digital Media, IS&T, and the Registrar's office, this position will define data management needs, provide user support, and will establish and maintain cataloguing and workflow standards. S/he will oversee staff on the TMS team and will also collaborate on all projects that require electronic access to the Museum's collection information.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manage the Collection Information Analyst, Associate Collection Information Specialist, and Associate Collection Information Manager positions.
- Collaborate closely with staff in curatorial and registrar departments in establishing use of standards and workflow around Museum administrative procedures related to acquisitions, loans, exhibition planning, and inventory.
- Advise on projects that use collection information from TMS. Collaborate with IS&T and
- other Digital Media staff on the support and development of electronic resources that use
- collection information.
- Lead TMS users meetings and maintain constant and open communication with TMS power users.
- Plan, test, schedule, and implement TMS system upgrades.
- Lead large-scale data entry and clean-up projects, and support the diverse needs of users
- across the Museum in properly managing documentation on the collection in a centralized system.
- Create custom list views and data views for use in TMS.
- Create and maintain advanced Crystal Reports for Museum departments.
- Import and perform global data changes as needed.
- Serve as primary contact with the vendor and ensure that the system stays current with
- upgrades, and that system improvements are well understood by the Museum's users.
- Stay current on developments utilizing collection data such as LIDO and Linked Open Data.
- Provide support for TMS users as needed.
- Other related duties
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience and Skills:
- Proven expertise with The Museum System (TMS).
- 4-6 years experience administrating a museum collections management system.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing, proofreading and analytical skills, with
- meticulous attention to detail.
- Experience with providing user support and training.
- Ability to work independently and to multitask.
Knowledge and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred), preferably in Art History, Museum Studies, Information Science, or related field.
- Proficiency with Crystal Reports.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong relational database skills (Access and SQL Server preferred).
- Knowledge of published vocabularies including, AAT, ULAN, and TGN.
- Knowledge of data content standards including CCO and other museum information
- Experience with XSLT, XML.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:23 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC