The J. Paul Getty Trust Information Technology department seeks a highly skilled, creative, agile and team-oriented individual to contribute strongly to its software development and integration efforts across a variety of software solutions. The ideal candidate will possess not only the technical skills to succeed, but the organization and discipline to build creative, sustainable solutions. The position will report to the Assistant Director, Information Systems, but will work both independently as well as on small teams.
Major Job Responsibilities:
The Information Systems team at the J. Paul Getty Trust works to develop and support a wide range of clients across the Getty and their software needs. These include sometimes building API / Services layer to integrate between software solutions, as well as build new software solutions to meet needs not otherwise provided with vendor package solutions. The following provides the current list of responsibilities:
- Develop and support services to manage the rich media content – images, video, audio – that are needed to augment functionality provided by vendor digital asset management solution
- Develop and support integration services / API between various vendor software solutions
- Assist in architecting and developing search / discovery solutions collaborating with other design and technologists across the Getty
- Experienced working with UI designers / front-end developers to effectively build solutions collaboratively; also, work with other developers to maximize strengths and availability to work on projects
- Develop software solutions using current languages / technologies – Java, Ruby, Perl, XSL, PHP, etc., maintaining technology skills as they evolve
- Be a team player; know when to assume each role of being a leader, advisor, direction-taker – working toward the highest quality, sustainable solution at all times
- Follow Getty practices (help define best practices) with respect to software requirements, design, development and management of documentation, issues and code.
- Accepts both the development and support responsibilities for deployed software solutions
- Has a clear understanding of the functional and quality requirements and thoroughly tests all work before asking others (user base) to test; a high standard of quality
Bachelor's degree in a related field
5+ years of intense software development experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Java, Ruby, Perl, XSL, PHP languages
Application servers including JBoss and TomEE
Web page development using JSP and HTML5
Web services (SOAP, REST)
Unix / Linux scripting languages
Use of Distributed Version Control Systems and other software development tools for documentation and issue tracking
ORACLE PL/SQL; relational database concepts
Management of rich media (image, video, audio) – generating derivatives, embedding technical and rights metadata, etc.
Experience working with and building search solutions using open-source tools like SOLR or Elastic Search. Other NoSQL database experience or knowledge such as triple-stores would be a plus.
Published: Thursday, October 23, 2014 14:43 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC