Director, Research and Informatics
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University — Blacksburg
0 other recent jobs
Created: September 24, 2014
DescriptionThe Director, Research and Informatics reports to the Associate Dean for Research and Informatics and manages operations for library programs, services, educational opportunities, and campus collaborations that support the research mission of the university. As a member of the Libraries’ senior leadership team, the Director, Research and Informatics contributes to library-wide planning and policy making and helps to shape strategic directions for the Libraries.
The division of Research and Informatics includes scholarly communication, data curation, and technology development units that oversee consulting, instruction, digital services, and digital library development activities in support of the university’s intellectual contributions and research processes. Strategic priorities for the division emphasize research environmental assessment, embedding digital curation processes in research environments, and providing leading digital curation and preservation solutions for the campus community.
- Directs, manages, and assesses selected research and informatics programs and services
- Fosters positive communications and effective working relationships between research and informatics faculty, staff, students, and campus partners
- Coordinates research service activities that include consulting in informatics, digital curation, and preservation
- Leads collaborative development of policies and processes that continuously develop and refine digital curation of library stewarded collections
- Leads the evaluation and adoption of new research and digital curation tools and approaches
- Develops and recommends action on memoranda of understanding and service level agreements
- Coordinates with library personnel on public relations and marketing activities and to further develop and refine the web presentation of research and informatics programs and services
- Supervises selected research and informatics library faculty and staff
- Leads teams, projects, and meetings
- Possibility of serving as the library liaison to the department of computer science, developing collections and providing research consultations
- Master’s or other advanced degree
- Three years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience in library or information-related services
- Knowledge of trends in scholarly communication practices and information and data sharing policies; knowledge of trends in research administration in higher education
- Experience with technology management and research consultations
- Demonstrated capacity to direct research services and activities in an academic library
- Ability to successfully supervise, train, and mentor research and informatics faculty and staff; demonstrated leadership qualities to be an effective director and member of the Libraries senior leadership team
- Knowledge of digital curation processes and digital repository and publishing platforms
- Successful experience leading and working with diverse teams across departments and disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree with an emphasis in information science, informatics, or computing
- Professional experience working in an academic library
- Experience managing or directing research services and activities in an academic library
- Successful teaching experience
- Successful grant proposal development
- Successful experience supervising librarians
- Evidence of creativity or creative solutions in transforming libraries in the digital age
- Experience with campus-wide projects and planning
- Evidence of professional accomplishments, publications, and experience appropriate for continued appointment in the library faculty
- Salary: $70,000 - $80,000 (Commensurate with credentials and experience).
Rank: Administrative and Professional Faculty with Continued Appointment/Tenure rank.
Benefits: University benefit information can be located at www.hr.vt.edu/benefits/index.html.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications must be submitted online at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting AP0140225. The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information. Review of applications will begin as received and continue until the position is filled.
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.
Published: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 08:36 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC