DescriptionTitle: Systems Librarian
Category: Librarian (Open Rank)
Department: Digital Programs and Initiatives in Digital Systems and Stewardship Division
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days of Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays, Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve more than 37,500 students and 4,200 faculty of the flagship College Park campus. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Its role as a key academic resource is evident in its service to the academic community and its actionable strategic plan. Recent membership in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, a robust organization of Big Ten member institutions, is particularly meaningful to the University Libraries and will further propel the university’s ascendancy in academic excellence.
The Systems Librarian is responsible for supporting digital applications, content, and digital preservation activities at the University of Maryland Libraries.
Reporting to the Manager, Digital Programs and Initiatives, the Systems Librarian supports all aspects of the work of the Digital Programs and Initiatives department. The Systems Librarian actively works with staff throughout the UMD Libraries to gather requirements for development of new digital initiatives and programs and provides support and instruction to UMD Libraries’ staff in the installation, development, and use of digital applications. The Systems Librarian collaborates closely with staff in the Software Systems Development and Research department to implement new and upgraded applications, perform quality assurance testing, and to communicate issues clearly. Serving as a translator and bridge between UMD Libraries staff and technical departments, the Systems Librarian will ensure that all parties gain consensus regarding requirements and project scope. The Systems Librarian serves as an active member of Digital Systems and Stewardship, contributing to divisional initiatives and leading specific projects; incorporates support for new tools and applications into library services; and maintains close engagement with issues relating to digital technologies, such as repository development, digital curation and preservation, and metadata.
The successful candidate for this position will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Develop requirements for new software applications to meet the needs of the department
• Ensure the preservation of the UMD Libraries' digital assets through file inventorying and archiving
• Maintain and troubleshoot both legacy systems and new systems
• Collaborate closely with both technical and non-technical staff from throughout the UMD Libraries, and communicates clearly with all stakeholders
• Participate in the development and execution of digital projects throughout their life-cycle, from conceptualization to long-term preservation of the results
• Conceive and develop scripts in support of departmental needs and specifically in order to allow staff to carry out large, complex tasks more efficiently
• Investigate and implement new technologies and research tools to support the work of the UMD Libraries
• Write reports, articles and presentations related to digital programs and initiatives, for example, presenting to UMD Libraries staff about new technologies
• Participate in library and campus committees as appropriate
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, skills, and abilities):
Required: Master's degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education by date of hire.
Preferred: Specialization in digital librarianship
• Demonstrated knowledge of the architecture and technologies of the World Wide Web, including HTML and CSS
• Knowledge of databases, data modeling, and SQL
• Knowledge of current best practices in the field of digital preservation
• Advanced knowledge of XML, and familiarity with the many XML-based metadata schemas and standards commonly used in digital librarianship (including EAD, MODS, METS, Dublin Core, etc.)
• Comfortable with a Unix server environment, including the installation of software packages and setup, configuration and troubleshooting of new server-based applications
• Demonstrated ability to conceive and develop scripts (in for example shell, Perl, Python, or another modern programming language)
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to learn new programming languages as needed
• Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work on multiple projects
• Understanding of and interest in the academic research and scholarly communication environment of a large research university
• Experience with the FedoraCommons digital repository architecture
• Experience with special collections and archival and manuscript materials
• Good project management skills
• Experience with DSpace and/or other digital library applications, such as Open Journal Systems or ArchivesSpace
For the full position description, please go to http://www.lib.umd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/staff-faculty-positions.
Position is appointed to Librarian Faculty Ranks as established by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents. Rank at appointment is based on the successful applicant’s experience and relevant credentials. For additional information, consult the following website: http://www.president.umd.edu/policies/ii-100B.html.
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/27317. No relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States; the University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume, and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until July 25, 2014.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, or gender identity and expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC