DescriptionProQuest is seeking a Lead Database Administrator.
The Lead Database Administrator is a senior role intended to help define and document best practice processes and standards for configuring, supporting, optimizing and backing up Database Management Systems (DBMS). In addition to providing tactical administration functions, this position will help to mentor other Database Administrators, stay current with the latest Oracle advances and evaluate the benefits of applying them in our environment.
Some of what you'll be doing:
- Architects, designs, implement, and maintain complex databases which may include access methods, access time, device allocation, validation checks, organization, protection and security, documentation and statistical methods. Consult with and advise developers, researching options and technology, making recommendations for improvements and enhancements
- Provides technical leadership on large-scale, highly complex projects; resolves issues; performs appropriate level of research to determine solutions; and prioritizes and suggests technical strategies to achieve the long-term objectives of the department
- Create physical database design and implement required database technologies and functions following database standards and best practices. Responsible for integration of systems through database design
- Create, support and maintain backup and recovery processes and systems. Ensure testing for backup and recovery. Design high availability, disaster recovery and backup recovery strategy
- Troubleshoot a wide range of database problems with complex interdependencies and provide corrective action within an appropriate period of time
- Plan and implement infrastructure build out and server storage migrations. Plan database upgrade process. Install, upgrade and configure database management system software
- Occasionally act as a team leader for data/database intense projects, leading technical efforts. Develop project plans, communicate status, lead/facilitate meetings, and coordinate project milestones. Projects can be short term or long term in nature and may be highly complex
- Monitor capacity and performance and proactively resolve problems
- Implement security and user provisioning according to defined standards and determine best method to satisfy security and compliance regulations
- Mentor other DBAs and help to identify opportunities for training
- Stay current on changes and enhancement in Oracle technologies. Evaluate new technologies and recommend opportunities to apply them in our systems
- Evaluates hardware and capacity needs for new projects
- Collaborates with both technology and application vendors, as needed
- Solves complex problems, given the limitations of resource, process and technology
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 14+ years Oracle Database Administration experience
- Ability to support systems after hours or on weekends
- Oracle 11g, 10g experience is required, experience with other versions is beneficial
- 5+ years experience with Oracle Real-Time Application Clustering (RAC)
- Ability to configure database storage with Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM) or raw devices
- Strong capabilities to monitor performance and tune database configuration to optimize performance
- Ability to administer and install Oracle in Unix/Linux environments
- Ability to write Oracle PL/SQL procedures
- Scripting with Perl, Unix Shell programming
- Masterful understanding of system interfaces
- Ability to write functional / detailed design / architectural specifications based on user and/or system requirements
- Effective execution working in a distributed team model, including successful consensus-building and managing complex interdependencies (10+ yrs)
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Oracle Certifications
- Knowledge of ProQuest product lines
Here’s what you want to know about ProQuest
Fantastic people: Where smart is the norm and unique is welcome
Fun location: Restaurants all around, within walking distance to Briarwood Mall, and approximately 3 miles from Downtown Ann Arbor.
Great benefits: On-site events, flexible scheduling and wellness programs, plus
Bike to work benefits.
Awesome office environment: Nice office, jeans are the norm and unlimited complimentary coffee and tea for the caffeine craved
Amazing company: Annual compensation reviews, generous bonuses, along with being voted as one of the Top Places to Work by Detroit Free Press, three years in a row!
ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. We provide seamless access to and navigation of more than 125 billion digital pages of the world's scholarship, delivering it to the desktop and into the workflow of serious researchers in multiple fields, from arts, literature, and social science to general reference, business, science, technology, and medicine. The company is currently rolling out the all-new ProQuest® platform, which moves beyond navigation to empower researchers to use, create, and share content—accelerating research productivity.
If this position isn’t quite your fit, check out our other positions posted on our “Career” page under About Us. ProQuest’s corporate office is located in Ann Arbor, MI.
How to apply
Published: Friday, June 13, 2014 22:49 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC