Digital Library IT Programmer Analyst I
University of North Texas — Denton
0 other recent jobs
Created: May 22, 2014
DescriptionThe Digital Libraries Division supports the UNT Libraries with guidance, web development, digital preservation, and other digital services. Through collaborative efforts such as The Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory.unt.edu ) and the UNT Digital Library (http://digital.library.unt.edu/) we freely provide digital content to a worldwide audience. Our software development team implements, maintains, and enhances the infrastructure of these products with open source components and open, standards-based protocols and formats.
Providing leadership in innovation and learning, the UNT Libraries (http://www.library.unt.edu) are an essential force in teaching and research. The Libraries provide expertise in all areas of scholarship and work to meet the ever-changing needs of a vibrant, student-centered research university.
The IT Programmer Analyst I will provide programming support for the development and maintenance of digital library initiatives, including The Portal to Texas History and the UNT Digital Library.
The employee will provide technical support and will consult and assist with planning and implementing digital projects in the UNT Libraries.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as programmer for the CODA digital archiving environment and replication system
- Contributing to development of the Aubrey content delivery system
- Acting as developer and maintainer of existing Django Web applications hosted by the Division
- Installing and maintaining digital library software
- Maintaining and monitoring technical infrastructure using tools such as Nagios and Cacti
- Maintaining usage statistics infrastructure used by the Aubrey system.
- Adhering to the unit's testing practices for software and interfaces.
- Adhering to the unit's version control practices for software development and deployment
- Participating in grant and externally funded projects as assigned
UNT is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide Equal Employment Opportunities (including provisions for training, development, transfer and promotion) for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran's status.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and two years of related computer programming experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
- Working knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing, including system analysis and design, and computer programming techniques
- Strong skill in writing programs for computer applications
- Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Understanding of digital library concepts and operations
- Broad familiarity with open source tools and environments
- Extensive knowledge of dynamic script programming languages such as Python, Perl, or Ruby
- Working knowledge of version control systems
- Working knowledge of XML and related technologies
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix environments for software development and deployment
- Familiarity with the following technologies and/or applications: Django, Python, PHP, Apache, MySQL, DHTML, Java, XSLT
How to apply
Published: Thursday, May 22, 2014 06:01 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC