Library Applications Developer
Created: May 19, 2014
Drexel University Philadelphia0 other recent jobs
Drexel University Libraries seeks an innovative and enthusiastic developer to play an integral role in the implementation of infrastructure and services that will enhance the Libraries' support for resource discovery and academic research
The successful candidate will work in a collaborative, team-based environment to leverage, customize, and integrate new technologies and services. The position's principle responsibility will be to develop and maintain system support for processing, preserving, and accessing campus research data, university records, and digital collections as part of the Libraries' new Institutional Repository. The incumbent will implement data management workflows incorporating tools such as Archivematica, BitCurator, Fedora, and Islandora. Additional responsibilities will include improvements to library discovery systems to provide integrated searching of library resources and data from a variety of sources, and engineering tools and methods for the gathering of data related to library services.
As a member of the Libraries' Discovery Systems Team and reporting to the Manager of Discovery Systems, the successful candidate will collaborate on technical project development including user needs and functional requirements, design documentation, and evaluating solutions. As needed, the incumbent will also work alongside related groups across the Drexel campus and coordinate technical requirements with other departments.
- Using web services and related technologies, implement a workflow for managing data and digital objects as they move from acquisition systems to systems for processing and into long-term storage and online access through Fedora and Islandora.
- Evaluate, implement, and customize tools, including Archivematica and BitCurator, to support digital object processing and conversion, data transformation, metadata extraction, archival description, and digital forensics.
- Work with Systems Team colleagues on integrating, maintaining, and updating data workflow and institutional repository solutions within the Libraries' existing systems architecture.
- Document solutions and workflows for internal purposes and also as part of compliance with University legal and privacy requirements.
- Collaborate with the Libraries' Systems Team and other campus constituents on relevant technology planning and agendas.
- Bachelor's degree in Information or Computer Sciences or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2 years minimum application or systems development experience
- Demonstrated understanding of the application development life cycle
- Demonstrated proficiency with a major language such as PHP, Ruby, Python, Java
- Experience with XML, XSLT, XPath, XQuery, and other data encoding languages and standards
- Experience performing data transfers utilizing software library or language APIs
- Experience with Linux
- Commitment to continuously enhancing development skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Experience in an academic, library, or archives environments
- Working knowledge of Apache, Tomcat & other delivery servers
- Experience with a version-control system such as Git or Subversion
- Experience with the Fedora Commons and Islandora digital asset management systems
- Experience with data or digital object processing tools such as Archivematica
Supplemental Posting Information
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
- Documents that must be associated with this posting: Resume, Cover Letter
- Employee Type: (5) Full Time
- Recruiting Salary: Commensurate with Experience
- Salary Grade: K
- Job Open Date: 05-16-2014
- Job Close Date: 06-15-2014
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC
How to apply
Published: Monday, May 19, 2014 20:15 UTC