Research Data Consultant
Created: May 16, 2014
DescriptionThe Virginia Tech Libraries (www.lib.vt.edu) are in the midst of reprogramming, rejuvenating, and pursuing new strategic directions in research and digital curation, as well as teaching/learning and literacies, learning spaces, and collections access. The Libraries are an increasingly integral partner in the research, teaching/learning, and service activities of Virginia Tech and are aligning with the university’s newly written strategic directions (http://www.longrangeplan.vt.edu/). The Virginia Tech Libraries are member of the Association of Research Libraries, Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, Center for Research Libraries, Coalition of Networked Information, Digital Library Federation, DPN – the Digital Preservation Network, HathiTrust, the LOCKSS Alliance, the MetaArchive Cooperative, the National Information Standards Organization, the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations and the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition.
The Research Data Consultant will work with Research and Informatics leadership to implement and advance the Libraries’ data curation services. The successful candidate will participate in research data management consultations, data curation activities, and the development of resources, documentation and instructional content about data curation.
The Research Data Consultant will be responsible for:
- Processing requests for data management plan support and archiving of datasets in the digital repository; designs and implements appropriate processing workflows.
- Documenting data management consultation and research data-related repository activities, workflows, and policies; assists in the development of data policies, guidelines, and web-based resources.
- Identifying, recruiting, and depositing datasets in the libraries’ digital repository, adhering to local policies and national and international standards and best practices.
- Executing technical processes involved in managing the lifecycle of digital datasets in order to maintain the integrity of and access to archived datasets; contributes to data transformation projects.
- Serving as a consultant to researchers and librarians on data issues and services; performs data management planning with PIs and researchers; assists in the development and delivery of training and instructional materials on data curation; provides guidance and instruction on discovery, acquisition and use of research data in the public domain.
- Participating in selected cross-Libraries working groups to improve data management services and in various data-related projects and initiatives as a result of developments and changes in Library services; maintains current awareness of data management and data curation protocols and projects.
Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree and significant experience equivalent to an advanced degree. Familiarity with the process of academic research. Familiarity with data management and digital library issues. Experience working with digital collections. Knowledge of digital repository or content managements systems such as DSpace and Fedora Commons. Excellent organizational and written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated time management and project completion skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team-based environment.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC