DescriptionThis position provides administration, support and enhancement of a variety of library technology systems, including the libraries integrated management system and the discovery platform. The selected candidate will collaborate with vendors and staff to perform detailed planning, installation, and implementation for new software releases. This includes design planning, security, data structures, backup, and application program integration. The position will also be responsible for development of relevant training and documentation of processes for library staff. In addition to staying current in emerging professional trends relating to library automation, systems, and discovery, this position will have the opportunity to play a key role in planning and coordinating future technology implementation projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and management for the Libraries’ integrated library system and the discovery platform, including planning and policy development.
- Serves as systems administrator and provides operational support.
- Collaborates with vendors and staff to perform detailed planning, installation, and implementation for new software releases. This includes design planning, security, data structures, backup, and application program integration.
- Represents the Libraries and CMU to the integrated library system and discovery platform vendors, as well as vendors of other products as appropriate.
- Provides user support and training, and solves systems problems for Libraries’ staff and for campus units utilizing the integrated library system and the discovery platform.
- Collaborates with the Office of Information Technology, various campus units, and multiple vendors to insure the transfer of data between the integrated library system, the discovery platform and external databases. Maintains load tables that affect data transfer between library, campus and vendor systems.
- Maintains the Libraries’ proxy server and provides technical support for proxy access to the Libraries’ electronic resources.
- Collaborates with other staff on automated systems that interact with the integrated library system and the discovery platform: CONTENTdm, SFX, ILLiad, MeLCat, and Single Sign-on.
- Monitors, evaluates, and integrates emerging library technologies.
- Assigns work to, and supervises library student staff members.
- Participates in overall systems planning and implementation as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- M.L.I.S. degree or equivalent from ALA-accredited library school.
- Minimum of two years’ recent experience working in a library position requiring an educational minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of two years’ recent experience as proficient user of at least one staff module of an integrated library system.
- Knowledge of cataloging and metadata standards such as MARC21 and RDA.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adopt technologies quickly.
- Evidence of ability to plan projects, prioritize, and manage a variety of responsibilities and to anticipate, prevent, and solve problems.
- Successful experience training and supervising.
- Recent professional librarian experience working in an academic library.
- Recent experience as proficient user of multiple staff modules of an integrated library system.
- Recent successful experience managing an integrated library system.
- Recent successful experience managing Innovative Interfaces Inc. Millennium or Sierra systems, Ex Libris SFX or Primo, ILLiad, or CONTENTdm.
- Knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for evaluating, implementing, and integrating emerging library technologies.
Published: Friday, May 16, 2014 17:10 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC