DescriptionStatus: Full-Time, Exempt
Department: Information Technology
Paul Smith’s College seeks an exceptional, creative, and agile Network and Systems Administrator, responsible for managing, maintaining, and implementing all network- and systems-related technology on campus. Working closely with a team of IT professionals on a small college campus, the Network and Systems Administrator will be on the front lines of implementing; maintaining and improving essential IT services that help the Paul Smith’s College community succeed.
- Support the systems and network infrastructure such as servers, switches, firewall, wireless controllers, and access points.
- Contribute to system/network design and implementation.
- Assist the IT team with the implementation of new projects.
- Develop scripts to help automate processes and assist campus initiatives.
- Assist with escalated Help Desk Tickets.
- Share on-call responsibility with the IT team.
- Partner with the rest of the IT team to build and maintain the systems infrastructure on time and on budget.
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships related to IT infrastructure to ensure efficient and sustainable use of college resources.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of training and experience, as well as any applicable certifications.
- 7+ years of experience in an IT-related field.
- 3+ years as a Windows/Linux System Administrator and/or demonstrated ability.
- 3+ years as a Network Administrator.
- Backup monitoring and maintenance experience.
Experience with the following technologies:
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012
- VMware vCenter and ESXi
- CentOS, RHEL, or Ubuntu
- iSCSI SAN
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Office 365 with DirSync
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft IIS
- Apache HTTP Server
- BIND DNS
- Cisco and HP Switches
- Dell SonicWALL NSA an SRA appliances
- Dell AppAssure Backup
- Roxio Retrospect Backup
- Ability to design, lead, and see projects through from inception to completion.
- Experience training junior members in technology.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to correspond clearly and in a timely manner
- Excellent research skills as well as strong interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills and a desire to work with faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to set goals, understand and follow directions, meet deadlines, keep accurate records, plan ahead, and anticipate problems.
- Ability to work both independently and as an integral member of a team.
- Ability to remain calm during difficult situations, cope with pressure, and work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to assess, prioritize, and manage tasks with appropriate attention to detail.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends and to travel when necessary.
Desired Technical Qualifications:
- Fluent in one or more programming languages (PHP, Visual Basic, Visual C++, etc.).
- Fluent with one or more scripting languages (PowerShell, BASH, VBscript, etc.).
- Experience with cloud technologies including SaaS, PaaS and IaaS architectures and how they integrate with on-campus infrastructure (storage, authentication, single sign on, etc.).
Applicants may submit a letter of intent, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent in Word format to: email@example.com Mailing address: Human Resources Generalist, Paul Smith’s College, PO Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970. Fax: (518) 327-6161.
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Phelps Smith Administration Building
Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC