DescriptionCanadiana.org is seeking a metadata architect to manage strategies, standards and practices for the creation and application of digital collections metadata. The successful candidate will have expertise in metadata stand-ards, formats and applications, be technically-oriented and have good analytical and communication skills. Ex-perience with XML applications, databases and various programming languages, or a desire to learn these skills, is highly desirable.
Located in downtown Ottawa, Canadiana.org is a non-profit organization with a staff of about 20. For more than 35 years, Canadiana.org has worked closely with Canadian research libraries and memory institutions to im-prove access to Canada's documentary heritage.
The primary activities of the metadata architect include:
• Analyzing metadata requirements.
• Selecting, developing and implementing standards and best practices.
• Authoring, extending and maintaining schemas.
• Developing mappings and crosswalks.
• Managing strategies for creating and extracting metadata during digitization and from crowd
• Developing and managing a linked open data strategy.
Essential qualifications for this position include:
• Extensive knowledge of metadata standards used in libraries and archives, such as MARC, MODS, RAD, Dublin Core, METS and RDF.
• Practical understanding of metadata practices and applications in libraries and archives.
• Working knowledge of XML, including XML schemas, character encodings and namespaces.
• Understanding of linked open data (LOD) and data driven applications.
• Knowledge of Web metadata standards and practices.
• Master of library and information studies, archival studies, or other combination of relevant education and ex-perience.
In addition, the following are highly desirable:
• Working knowledge of XSLT, XPath, JSON and HTML.
• API design experience.
• Database development experience.
• Knowledge of OAI-PMH.
• Familiarity with Linux or Unix
This is a term position with an initial appointment of one year. Salary and benefits are commensurate with expe-rience. Applications should be submitted in PDF format no later than Friday, May 23rd 2014 to email@example.com.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC