DescriptionAs a Principal System Administrator at ProQuest, you will be an integral part of a highly focused team responsible for maintaining and supporting multi-tiered applications that enable librarians, academic researchers, and vendors to efficiently manage, provide, and use their e-resources.
Based in our Fremont office, the Principal System Administrator will apply strong IT and Technology skills to troubleshoot and address issues across a variety of mission critical internal and customer facing systems. Additionally, The Principal System Administrator will manage, mentor, and/or supervise a small team of other IT/Operations professionals as necessary.
We are seeking a proactive, efficient professional and leader who naturally demonstrates and embodies our core values of collaboration, empowerment, accountability, customer focus, passion, and learning.
Some of what you’ll be doing:
- Work with product, development, and infrastructure teams to architect, build and maintain systems for new applications
- Work with development and infrastructure teams to enhance high availability of existing applications.
- Administer and troubleshoot complex Linux and Windows environments.
- Troubleshoot complex system applications - both internal and external issues at a high level of proficiency and independence
- Manage high availability systems in an Application Service Provider environment where downtime is not an option.
- Proactively monitors and looks for problem areas in our applications and suggests and drives resolution of them.
- Manage, supervise and mentor direct and indirect reports
- Help IT/Ops manager proactively identify and remove roadblocks both technical and administrative
- Support budgetary evaluation, help price and identify system and environmental components, and assist with administrative ordering functions
What you’ll have experience doing:
- Over 5 years of experience in a similar role and B.S or M.S. degree in Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent work experience in technical field.
- Expert ability to troubleshoot complex network and application issues spanning across applications, operating systems, networking and storage
- Strong fundamental understanding of networking and storage
- Must be security minded, with an excellent understanding of network/host security fundamentals
- Expert level experience administering Linux environments
- Expert level experience with configuration management frameworks and solutions (Puppet, Chef, CFEngine)
- Expert level Experience with Java application servers (Tomcat, JBoss, etc.) and JVM monitoring and tuning.
- Strong Experience with system, network and application monitoring frameworks and solutions (Nagios, OpsView, Splunk)
- Strong Experience with Cloud providers (AWS)
- Experience with Search applications (SOLR)
- Ability to work non-standard hours on occasion
- Experience working with Windows IIS
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience working with continuous integration and build systems, automated deployments.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams and data centers
- Experience managing, supervising, and/or mentoring teams of 1-8 people
Here’s what you want to know about the Seattle office
Fantastic people: Where smart is the norm and unique is welcome
Fun location: Coffee houses, restaurants and right across the street from Fremont’s best pub
Great benefits: Plus some unique stuff like monthly transportation subsidy, on-site events, flexible scheduling and wellness programs
Awesome office environment: Nice office, jeans are the norm and (well behaved) Fido is welcome
Amazing company: Annual compensation reviews, generous bonuses, and active “Green Team” and good morale
ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. We provide seamless access to and navigation of more than 125 billion digital pages of the world's scholarship, delivering it to the desktop and into the workflow of serious researchers in multiple fields, from arts, literature, and social science to general reference, business, science, technology, and medicine. The company is currently rolling out the all-new ProQuest® platform, which moves beyond navigation to empower researchers to use, create, and share content—accelerating research productivity.
If this position isn’t quite your fit, check out our other positions posted on our “Career” page under About Us. ProQuest’s corporate office is located in Ann Arbor, MI. www.Proquest.com
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 17:53 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC