Are you a hands-on web developer with expert level proficiency in web technologies including back-end languages and frameworks, front end scripting and libraries, and code management and deployment?
Are you are a friendly, creative, and pragmatic problem-solver with proven abilities to thrive in a fast-paced, technically challenging environment?
Are you looking for an opportunity to work in a tight, cross-functional team of engineers and designers?
Have you worked on a small development team with remote team members?
Look no further! ProQuest's division that develops tools for academic researchers is looking for an amazing Full Stack Developer. This is a position in a small, solid product development team. You'll report to our Development Director, but in practice you'll answer mostly to your teammates and product owners.
Some of what you'll be doing:
- Design, develop, enhance, monitor and maintain core functionality in online SaaS products
- Draw upon technical skills to help develop and maintain products using modern, open-source technologies and development tools
- Create and improve infrastructure to address system performance, security, maintainability, and scalability products
- Propose, develop, review and revise new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high quality systems
- Develop server-side code in Ruby on Rails
- Integrate Solr/Lucene search with application logic
- Constantly seeking technical improvement in code base
- Create unit tests for all developed code
- Work with fellow developers to design an efficient and scalable solution
- Participate in technical meetings and discussions and provide updates to stakeholders and project team
- Work closely with Program Managers and Business Analyst during product development
- Fully participate in Agile development process: daily scrums, sprint reviews and retrospectives
What you'll need to be successful:
- B.S. in Computer Science or Software Engineering OR equivalent combination of work experience
- While you may have an area of focus, you understand technologies up and down the software stack
- 5+ years experience server-side programming using Ruby on Rails
- 3+ years experience with NoSQL databases - MongoDB, CouchDB
- 3+ years experience with search technologies - Solr, Lucene
- Experience with Capistrano, Git, Github, Jenkins
- Experience with modern front-end development frameworks - AngularJS, Bootstrap
- Experience with web applications on Amazon AWS is a plus
- Familiarity with build systems, deployments, monitoring, and performance tuning
- Passion to learn new technologies and software development practices
- Willingness to seek and solve problems, and understand complex systems
- Flexibility to move between product teams, if necessary
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- M.S. in Computer Science or Software Engineering
ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. We provide seamless access to and navigation of more than 125 billion digital pages of the world's scholarship, delivering it to the desktop and into the workflow of serious researchers in multiple fields, from arts, literature, and social science to general reference, business, science, technology, and medicine. The company is currently rolling out the all-new ProQuest® platform, which moves beyond navigation to empower researchers to use, create, and share content—accelerating research productivity.
If this position isn’t quite your fit, check out our other positions posted on our “Career” page under About Us. ProQuest’s corporate office is located in Ann Arbor, MI. www.Proquest.com
How to apply
Published: Monday, May 5, 2014 23:39 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC