DescriptionThe Senior Systems Engineer will focus his/her efforts on automation and cloud service as well as supporting NYPL's Linux system environment powering the vast majority of NYPL's web sites. The team member will optimize existing operations by proactively reviewing existing processes and identifying means of automating repetitive or time consuming tasks. The engineer will leverage open source tools when possible and will construct a simple, actionable, reporting mechanism to highlight operational statues. The engineer will play a crucial role in migrating existing on-premise hosted web properties to cloud using either PaaS or IaaS resources. S/he will work under the direction of the lead system engineer, will work alongside two systems engineers, two DBAs, and will collaborate with a highly skilled development teams (as well as other IT and business units as required).
- Review existing systems processes and improve/implement automation.
- Optimize existing infrastructure using commonly available tools and best practices.
- Automate systems management and administration tasks to streamline ongoing operational tasks, including but not limited to, configuration management, file management, log management, auditing, monitoring, change tracking, and patching.
- Implement and/or support automation tools (scripts, apps) that are can be used across multiple NYPL systems. Applications may include Monit, Munin, Selenium/SaucePan, jMeter, Nagios, Cacti, Jenkins, etc. Deployment systems may include Chef/Puppet.
- Construct simple dashboard/reporting system to highlight service metrics.
- Utilize Cloud services (PaaS and/or IaaS) to replace existing on-premise solutions. Carry automation on to these systems.
- Assess and determine best course of action for site migration to the cloud (Paas or IaaS).
- Work closely with multiple NYPL teams to coordinate migration of web properties to the cloud.
- Support existing NYPL Linux based systems powering NYPL’s web properties.
- Provide on-call support as defined by rotation schedule, including weekends and after-hours.
- Performs other duties as required
Bachelors degree in computer related field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems or a strong combination of education and 8+ years relative work experience. The ideal candidate will have the following skill set:
- Mastery of Linux operating system and internals. Specifically RHEL.
- Strong understanding of enterprise networking, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, routing, switching, and related services.
- Practical, hands-on, knowledge of common system operations best practices and tool sets as it relates to automation, monitoring, and reporting. Experience with Cacti & Nagios preferred. Other tools welcome.
- Deep knowledge and experience with various hardware platforms; including server and storage.
- Strong experience with server virtualization, specifically with AWS.
- Demonstrated ability to architect, deploy, and support highly-available, highly-scalable, systems in AWS.
- Experience scripting systems deployment in AWS.
- Experience supporting developers.
- Superb system scripting skills with PHP, Perl, shell, bash, etc.
- Deep knowledge of web application coding in PHP & Ruby with ability to support highly skilled web developers.
- Strong working experience administering Windows 2008 desired.
- Practical experience with database systems including MySQL & Oracle.
- Superb, all-around, understanding of business continuity practices including backup and recovery.
- Proven ability to develop technical requirements and specifications through collaboration with technical and non-technical clients/stakeholders.
- Excellent planning and organization skills with ability to manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must work well independently and within a team
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC