DescriptionO'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly has been a chronicler and catalyst of leading-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and galvanizing their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
The Digital Publishing Specialist plays a key support role in O'Reilly's Publishing Services division. Working within the Tools group, the Specialist provides support for production staff through all stages of their workflow, assists authors and editors in preparing content for production, and maintains and improves tools used within production and across the company for access to and manipulation of book files and other content. We're looking for someone who is bright, self-motivated, passionate about publishing, and eager to learn new technologies and next-generation publishing workflows. Prior programming experience a huge plus, but willing to train the right candidate.
We are looking for this person to be based at our office in Cambridge, MA.
• Convert book content among multiple file formats using scripts and automation tools
• Provide support for production staff, editorial staff, and authors in use of publishing software
• Fulfill internal and external requests for content and customizations
• Assist production staff in automating batch editing tasks
• Monitor and respond to support queue
• Perform quality control checks on author manuscripts
• Troubleshoot production issues to ensure timely release of books
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong ability and desire to learn new technologies.
• Ability to multitask, adapt to changing workflows and tools, and engage in creative problem solving.
• Experience in troubleshooting and problem solving in a deadline-driven environment.
• Experience with (X)HTML5, CSS, XML, XSLT, or strong willingness to learn.
• Experience with version control systems (git/GitHub preferred).
• Experience with ebook development/production (EPUB, Mobi) a big plus.
• Proficient in one or more scripting languages (Ruby or Python preferred), or a strong aptitude for programming and a willingness to learn.
• Attention to detail.
• Service orientation toward helping others use technology to accomplish their work.
• Strong written communication skills and an ability to explain technical information to a non-technical audience.
• 1-3 years professional experience preferred
• Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience)
• Related experience in a technology or publishing organization
Please send us your cover letter and resume by going to http://jobs.oreilly, and click on the position.
How to apply
Published: Friday, March 21, 2014 21:24 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC