DescriptionMarkham Public Library is introducing new spaces to support the community in content creation. These spaces include Digital Media Labs (DML), a business incubation hub, a creative lab and maker spaces. These new facilities will provide access to advances technologies for the Markham community and will introduce a range of new programming and service opportunities for the library.
The DML Strategist is a temporary position required to design and plan use of these spaces at the Cornell and South East Markham libraries, and develops a longer-range strategy for the continued expansion of the library’s creative services. This position has a strong understanding of related technologies and possesses the experience and skills in the development of new services. He/she is attuned to trends in digital services and capable of soliciting and utilizing customer input to determine the effective use of these resources.
1. Researches trends and opportunities in content creation technologies, particularly as they pertain to libraries.
2. Develops a thorough knowledge of technology used in DML, maker labs, etc. Able to identify functional and logistical requirements for the implementation of this technology.
3. Liaises with senior library staff to determine user requirements and develop a vision for the impact of these technologies for the community.
4. Participates in data collection opportunities to solicit input from customers and other stakeholders.
5. Develops workplans for the implementation of these spaces that align with construction schedules. Works with other internal stakeholders to determine the appropriate sequence of work to ensure the timely completion of these projects.
6. Develop recommendations related to the physical layout and installation of these spaces. Assist through the operationalization of the DML at the Cornell Library. Develop workplan for operationalization of the content creation spaces at the South East Library.
7. Works with MPL’s Marketing department to develop strategies for the promotion of these resources.
8. Works with MPL’s Learning and Growth departments to identify learning gaps for library staff and develop appropriate training opportunities to ensure staff possess the skills to support customer use.
9. Works with vendors to determine pricing and supports staff responsible for procurement of equipment related to these spaces.
10. Provide senior staff with strategies with recommendations for further expansion of services in these areas.
11. Identifies programming opportunities for these spaces. Develops relevant program content and/or identifies opportunities for partnerships related to program delivery and promotion. Works with these partners to develop concrete plans for program delivery.
12. Develops recommendations for these spaces and delivers these recommendations to senior staff and other stakeholders within 6 months of the project start date
1. Masters of Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program.
2. Minimum 1 year experience in public libraries with relevant experience.
3. Experience working with related technologies and equipment will be given priority.
4. Project Management experience is an asset.
5. Excellent analytical skills, including familiarity with statistical analysis, performance metrics and the ability to work with both quantitative and qualitative data.
6. Strong communication skills with demonstrated report-writing experience and presentation abilities.
7. Understanding of process management and policy development.
8. Understanding of trends in digital services especially content creation technologies.
9. Strong understanding of library programming.
10. Ability to develop community partnerships and collaborative programming opportunities
11. Strong achievement orientation and the ability to deliver tangible results in a timely manner.
12. Ability to work with minimal supervision and manage deadlines effectively.
Temporary Position for six months
Hour: 35 hours per week on average
Salary: $32.12 per hour
Additional information :
Please note that Markham Public Library is open 7 days per week, and regular weekend work may require.
Please quote the job posting # 2014-12 on the subject line when applying by email.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Organization web site: http://www.markhampubliclibrary.ca
Apply by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Mar 17 2014
How to apply:
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
Markham Public Library
6031 Highway 7
L3P 3A7 Email:email@example.com
Published: Monday, March 24, 2014 13:06 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC