The Joan Mitchell Foundation is seeking candidates for a new full time staff position of Database and Digital Asset Manager (DDAM). This individual will maintain and oversee all of the Foundation’s database-related and digital asset management needs. The DDAM be responsible for developing, and/or or expanding on, multiple FileMaker Pro databases designed to serve the Foundation for a wide range of purposes, from contact management, to artwork inventory/collection management, to online registration and class attendance tracking.
In addition to creating these databases for its internal use, the Foundation has been developing an inventory management database for visual artists. This database is currently in BETA testing and will distributed to artists nationally and internationally, when completed. The DDAM will work with Foundation staff to complete the development of this database and provide technical support to users.
The DDAM will work closely with Foundation staff to maintain an ongoing awareness of their database needs, make necessary changes and updates to existing databases, and provide technical support to staff and other users, including artists outside of the Foundation. The DDAM will collaborate with administrative staff and report to the Executive Director. The DDAM will lead the Foundation in strategic planning and prioritization in regards to emerging technologies, databases, and the long-term preservation of its digital assets. This individual will work with Foundation staff to develop protocols and best practices in all necessary areas. Please note this position is not part of a fundraising department.
The Joan Mitchell Foundation is an artist-endowed foundation with a mission that celebrates the legacy of Joan Mitchell and expands her vision to support the aspirations and development of diverse contemporary artists. Further information about the Foundation and its programs can be found at joanmitchellfoundation.org
Responsibilities and related tasks include, but are not limited to the following areas:
• Development and modification of all FileMaker Pro and SQL/PHP-based solutions used throughout the organization;
• Management and maintenance of all databases, including scheduled updates and “bug fixes”;
• Technical support on databases, for staff and additional users of databases developed by the Foundation;
• Creation and maintenance of internal and end-user documentation, and/or user manuals for art inventory/collections management databases;
• Establishment of best practices for the security and oversight of backup of the Foundation’s databases;
• Digital asset management for the Foundation. Establishment of best practices for staff regarding file formats, file storage, file naming, controlled vocabularies, and version control;
• Strategic planning and implementation in all areas related to database usage.
The ideal candidate will possess:
Significant expertise and experience in the following areas relating to FileMaker:
• Development of FileMaker Pro databases using version 9 or higher, specifically, experience with FileMaker 13 and a full understanding of the new functionality of the program in relation to the use of WebDirect;
• FileMaker Server architecture, deployment and management options;
• FileMaker Plugins in the FileMaker ecosystem, FileMaker Custom Functions and ScriptMaker and MS Excel;
• FileMaker Advanced, with expertise in creating FileMaker runtime versions for both Mac and PC platforms.
As well as the following:
• Minimum 2 years working with relational databases with large numbers of tables and referential constraints
• Ability to reverse engineer scripts and calculations and troubleshoot existing database functions.
• Comfort and experience with working with Mac computers and their operating systems. The Foundation works solely on Macs.
• Experience with iPad/iPhone layout work with either FileMaker 12 or 13.
• Comfort and experience working in a customer service or client-centric environment
• Strong problem-solving skills, an ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical groups, and excellent listening skills.
• Responsiveness to each of the Foundation’s program’s needs, balanced with an ability to prioritize which issues should be addressed first.
• Ability to work with staff to develop database reports that best serve each program’s -relationships with all staff and outside parties
• Proactive approach to database modifications and data cleanup and maintenance
• Interest in emerging technologies and the future of databases and information management.
• Bachelor's Degree or High School Diploma/GED with 3 + years of equivalent experience
Priority will be given to those applicants that possess the following:
• Experience advising on and developing new databases;
• Demonstrated experience working with team to identify needs and develop database based solutions;
• Understanding of interface design and a clean sensibility;
• Experience being a team member;
• Strong attention to detail combined with the ability to see the whole picture.
How to Apply:
Please include a cover letter, a current CV or resume, and your answers to the following candidate questionnaire:
Database & Digital Asset Manager Candidate Questionnaire (500 total word limit – please)
1. What interests you in this opportunity?
2. Briefly describe your experiences and skills that are most relevant for this position.
3. What should we know about you and/or your background that might not be evident in your CV/resume?
The Joan Mitchell Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability or any other protected class.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Database & Digital Asset Manager” in the subject line. No telephone calls please.
Joan Mitchell Foundation, Inc. and Joan Mitchell Center on Bayou Road, LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Joan Mitchell Foundation, Inc. and Joan Mitchell Center on Bayou Road, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC