DescriptionWe have an immediate opening for a Lead Software Engineer to design and develop software solutions in a Hadoop cluster environment, with strong focus on support for Digital Repositories of historic documents, photographs, media, and Institutional Repositories of current theses, dissertations, and research documents and data. You will be challenged to design and develop large-scale, highly performant applications and services leveraging a wide variety of open source and commercial technologies.
- Design, develop and implement software in a Hadoop cluster environment using Agile Scrum methodology
- Define big data storage and processing in a NoSQL environment
- Plan and implement environments in the cluster for project teams and transfer knowledge on their use
- Assist with deployment of Hadoop software solutions to production environment in multiple data centers, troubleshoot production application issues, and assist with planning appropriate monitoring and growth
Work with teams to design solutions for digital repository-based projects
- Participate in design and development of unit, system & acceptance testing. Build and maintain test data and make recommendations and improvements to the tested system.
- Plan and assist in load, capacity, and performance analysis and/or testing.
- Participate in agile development process to clarify user stories and help to turn them into code.
- Participate in the analysis and implementation of third party solutions for OCLC applications with the ability to understand the impact and analyze the risk
Assist product teams on systems and data issues
- Design and implement data migration, loading and ingest projects
- Provide systems administration support as needed
- Position requires occasional travel to regional office in Seattle
Desired Skills & Experience
- Must have strong knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem and associated components – Map Reduce, HBase, Zookeeper, etc.
- Must have strong knowledge of Linux and OS level file system
- Must have development experience with RDBMS, including writing complex SQL queries
- Extensive experience with data implementations, data storage, data access and distribution
- Knowledge in and experience using Agile methodologies
- Strong object oriented design and Java skills with 5+ years coding experience
- Strong problem solving skills
- Must be a self-motivator and be able to work with minimal direction
- Coding skills in XML, Junit and testing frameworks (like Mockito, Jmock, etc.), and Groovy are highly desirable
- Experience with Semantic Web technologies, Linked Data, RDF highly desired
- Strong desire to innovate and develop new technology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Minimum of BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS, and/or demonstrated industry experience on similar successful projects
How to apply
Published: Friday, January 17, 2014 02:28 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC