DescriptionLocated in New York City, the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) is a nonprofit member services organization serving more than 260 libraries, archives, museums, and cultural heritage nonprofits in New York City and Westchester County. METRO has an almost 50-year tradition of providing a range of programs and services to its members, including grants, consultative and digital services, collaborative initiatives, and professional development and training. We are seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated individual to manage Empire State Digital Network (ESDN), a statewide initiative to deliver content from New York’s cultural heritage institutions to the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA).
The ESDN Manager is a full-time, newly created position for one year with the possibility of extension. This position is open to experienced information professionals or new information professionals with prior management experience. Candidates should be interested in supporting expanded access to digital collections from New York libraries, archives, and cultural heritage via the DPLA.
The position’s main responsibility will be to coordinate activities of the Empire State Digital Network, a statewide service hub for the DPLA. ESDN will be administered by METRO in collaboration with eight allied regional library councils collectively working as NY3Rs Association.
IF YOU FILL THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO:
- Work with metadata specialist and technology specialist to establish and achieve short-term goals of ESDN.
- Coordinate meetings of advisory committees and working groups and share information about activities across all groups.
- Work with project staff and working groups to develop and promote protocols for participation in the ESDN.
- Liaise with designated representatives from NY3Rs organizations and other collaborative digitization programs throughout New York to promote ESDN participation procedures.
- Plan and organize ESDN meetings, workshops, and events virtually and throughout New York for new and potential participants; document and share ESDN activities with stakeholders and potential participants.
- Assist Executive Director in grant writing to support ESDN.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or a related Master’s degree.
- Proven proficiency in project management, communication and outreach activities, event planning, and grant writing.
- Experience working in a library, archive, cultural heritage organization, or affiliated educational, non-profit, or professional organization.
- Experience coordinating the activities of a small team toward discrete goals.
- Experience with digital projects and knowledge of trends and best practices in the field of information management.
- Knowledge of current technologies and metadata standards and practices (i.e. DC, MODS, OAI-PMH, metadata mapping) in libraries and archives.
- Professional experience building institutional relationships.
The position will remain open until filled. The ESDN Manager reports to METRO’s Executive Director. The salary range is $60,000-$70,000, commensurate with experience. METRO provides excellent benefits, pension, and leave package. Position may entail four-day, 35-hour workweek. METRO’s offices are located at 57 E. 11th Street in New York City.
The application period ends January 10, 2014. Please send a resume or cv and a cover letter as a .pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “ESDN Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC