Software Engineering Manager, Intota Team
Created: November 26, 2013
ProQuest Seattle0 other recent jobs
DescriptionAs a Software Engineering Manager at Serials Solutions/ ProQuest you will be an integral part of a highly focused team responsible for designing, maintaining, supporting, and developing multi-tiered applications that enable content operations and vendors to efficiently manage, provide, and use their e-resources.
As a member of the Technology Leadership team, you will provide strategic input into the direction of technology services at the company. You will directly influence our technical direction in the areas of systems architecture, application design and development, software development process, budgeting, development technology. Additionally, you will have responsibility for hiring and mentoring the developers and technical staff you manage. We are seeking an individual who lives and breathes our core values of collaboration, empowerment, accountability, customer focus, passion, and learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directly manages a group of 8-20 leads, software developers, UI developers, contractors, and database engineers.
• Oversee multiple modules and systems utilizing a diverse range of technologies and frameworks.
• Build the product on an architectural platform consisting of Java, SQL Server, Solr and Lucene, as well as other technologies as appropriate.
• Develops and drives technology-related initiatives and project plans that support short and long-term objectives of the organization.
• Coordinates and drives the business relationship with key internal partners.
• Hire, manage, and mentor the development team and contractors.
• Evaluate external advancements in the industry to improve the user experience, increase efficiency, reduce operating expenses, and maximize revenues.
• Serves as a subject matter expert on technology and general architectural patterns
• Significant experience managing several, concurrent, large, mission critical projects and applications in various languages, especially Java.
• Demonstrated ability to code in Java and TSQL and be able to guide architectural decisions
• Experience with complete and comprehensive system re-architectures
• Deep experience with Agile development practices, including Scrum, XP, and TDD
• Demonstrated ability to hire, manage, mentor, and develop staff members.
• Deep understanding of technology project management and ability to create roadmaps, lead, and deliver on multiple complex projects of strategic significance.
• Experience managing and maintaining legacy systems while concurrently developing new systems, platforms, and technologies.
• Ability to think strategically and act tactically.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to listen and evaluate all opinions without bias
• Experience working effectively in a team environment as a strong collaborative player
• Strong analytical skills and exceptional problem-solving skills
• Ability to independently manage multiple priorities.
• Strong influencing skills and the ability to interface internally and externally to ensure successful, high-quality outcomes.
• Broad experience with various open source technologies, including experience NoSQL, Hadoop, HBase, Solr, Lucene, as well as other various Apache Software Foundation technologies.
Qualifications listed below, while not necessarily a requirement for this position in each circumstance, provide additional depth and value to the role.
• Bachelors' degree plus 8-10 years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least 5 years’ experience hiring, leading, motivating, evaluating, and developing technical professionals.
• Experience managing projects of strategic significance.
Other important information about this position:
• This position is typically based in the Seattle office and may be appropriate for full or partial remote work, subject to approval.
• Occasional travel is required.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 00:15 UTC