DescriptionFlorida International University is a comprehensive university offering 340 majors in 188 degree programs in 23 colleges and schools, with innovative bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs across all disciplines including medicine, public health, law, journalism, hospitality, and architecture. FIU is Carnegie-designated as both a research university with high research activity and a community-engaged university. Located in the heart of the dynamic south Florida urban region, our multiple campuses serve over 50,000 students, placing FIU among the ten largest universities in the nation. Our annual research expenditures in excess of $100 million and our deep commitment to engagement have made FIU the go-to solutions center for issues ranging from local to global. FIU leads the nation in granting bachelor’s degrees, including in the STEM fields, to minority students and is first in awarding STEM master’s degrees to Hispanics. Our students, faculty, and staff reflect Miami’s diverse population, earning FIU the designation of Hispanic-Serving Institution. At FIU, we are proud to be ‘Worlds Ahead’! For more information about FIU, visit fiu.edu.
Digital Technologies Development Librarian, Florida International University
The Steven & Dorothea Green Library at Florida International University seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, collaborative, and user-oriented librarian for the position of Digital Technologies Development Librarian. This is a new position charged with providing technical leadership for the development, design, configuration, and timely maintenance of the Libraries’ website with a focus on Public Services. This individual will also be responsible for updating digital signage information and other Public Services web-based projects as assigned.
Reporting to the Head of the Information & Research Services Department, Green Library, the Digital Technologies Development Librarian will develop digital library projects and help identify emerging web based technologies that promote interactive user engagement with the Libraries’ website. This person will closely collaborate with Library Systems, the Web Services Librarian, the Emerging Technologies Librarian and the Instructional Design Librarian to design and develop dynamic web and mobile-enhanced web applications, communication and collaboration tools, instructional tutorials and web pages to meet departmental and library needs. This position will also collaborate with university partners, for example the Division of Information Technology, to enhance and improve web services offered while maintaining university standards and guidelines.
As a member of the Information & Research Services Department, the successful candidate will provide general reference and research assistance, and participating in the libraries’ information literacy and instruction program. Some evenings and weekends may be required. As a library faculty member, the Digital Technologies Development Librarian is expected to participate in professional development, research, and service activities in order to meet the Libraries’ and University’s requirements for promotion.
- Develops dynamic web and mobile-enabled web applications, workflows, communication and collaboration tools, and web pages to enhance website interactivity
- Provides leadership on behalf of Public Services for large-scale Libraries web-based projects
- Works to improve the functionality of and access to website sections that provide access to research tools and essential library information
- Responsible for Public Services related content maintenance and updates of the Libraries’ website
- Assists with the administration of Drupal providing technical support to Library faculty and staff as needed
- Assists with design and layout of main Libraries website, interfaces for web applications, and the Libraries digital signage
- Provides information and research services
- Participates in information literacy and instruction program
- ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information science, or a Master’s degree in Computer Science.
- Background in computer programming, Web design, or related field; or equivalent combination of relevant education/training or experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated professional behavior and excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team and problem solve creatively.
- Strong experience with web content management applications such as Drupal.
- Experience with web project management.
- Knowledge of MS-SQL, MySQL, IIS and Apache web servers, Java, Python, Tomcat.
- Experience providing Reference and Instruction services.
- Experience working in an academic or public library.
Rank/Salary: Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are competitive based on qualifications and experience.
About the Libraries: For information about the FIU Libraries, please visit http://library.fiu.edu.
Review of Applications: Continues until the position is filled.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 506846 at careers.fiu.edu and must attach a cover letter, a resume, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references in a single pdf file. All inquiries should be directed to Marissa Ball, Chair of the Search and Screen Committee, at email@example.com . To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by November 30, 2013. Review will continue until position is filled.
Published: Friday, November 15, 2013 02:47 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC