The University of Pittsburgh University Library System (ULS) is seeking a systems developer for major software development projects in the ULS. This is a high-level, regular, fulltime position in the ULS Information Technology Department.
At various times the incumbent will perform in all areas of systems analysis, system design, needs assessment, software development, interface design and development, software support, and resource planning for numerous electronic publishing and library related applications. The incumbent will act as a lead programmer within the department and may at times lead external groups on collaborative open source development projects. The incumbent will work on data-related import/export processes as well as data transformations to move large amounts of data between disparate systems.
The incumbent should be familiar with the LAMP stack, Object Oriented PHP, Object Oriented Perl, MySQL (or other relational database systems), C, Java, Apache Web Server, XML, and should be proficient with performing XML data transformations. B.S. in Computer or Information Science or related field and minimum of 5 years related work experience required.
The incumbent will be responsible for communication with staff, faculty, students, and other stakeholders through working groups, committees, and special interest groups both within and external to the university. The incumbent must quickly learn new concepts, manage tasks efficiently while meeting deadlines, and possess excellent communication skills. The incumbent must be a self-motivated, independent, detail oriented, responsible team-player.
This position reports to the manager of Systems Development within the Information Technology department of the University Library System.
M.S. in Computer or Information Science or related field; B.S. and relevant work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record Check will be required as a condition of employment.
Education Required Masters
- Overall Related Experience Level Required 5-6 years experience
- Additional Education and/or Experience Essential to the Position
- M.S. in Computer or Information Science or related field; B.S. and relevant work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Proficiency with Object Oriented Programming using PHP, Perl, C, Java
- Proficiency with SQL, relational databases (e.g. Oracle, MySQL).
- Proficiency with XML and various metadata standards; experience in XML transformations preferred.
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and software.
- Self-motivated, independent, detail oriented, responsible team-player.
- Flexibility and drive to handle the variety of responsibilities and the demands of currency in this rapidly evolving field.
- May be on call for system support during evening/weekend hours.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in system/application development.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in administration using a LAMP stack (Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL, PHP/PERL) environment.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a software development team leadership position.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC