Created: October 8, 2013
NPR Washington, D.C.0 other recent jobs
We are hiring!
What we are looking for:
Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail
Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
Obsession with software scalability and performance under high loads.
Love for using and contributing to open-source software.
Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable web developer. A person passionate about polyglot programming, web technologies, database development, RESTful APIs; often things that have not reached mainstream, yet. We are looking for a person who both learns fast, but can also figure things out independently and show us better ways for building complex, highly scalable systems on the web.
Currently we are obsessed with Lean product development, responsive design, document databases, RESTful / Hypermedia APIs and machine learning. What will tomorrow bring? We would like to figure that out together, if you join us.
Why work at NPR matters:
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to product design and software engineering. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Essential Duties Include:
Web Developer is primarily responsible for contributing to the creation, modification, and implementation of custom web applications and APIs within NPR Digital Media. Responsibilities also include assisting in the daily operations and maintenance of all of NPR Digital Media's systems and applications and assisting in the design and implementation of software products that address current and future requirements of NPR Digital Media.
The exact title and level (e.g., II, III, IV) of this position will be determined based on the selected candidate's experience and skills
Basic skills required:
- Fluency in LAMP stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
- Fluency in HTML5/CSS3, including media queries and Responsive Web Design techniques.
- Extensive experience working with content-management systems (preferably: popular open-source ones such as: WordPress or Drupal).
- Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal.
- Experience working with a version control system (SVN or Git preferred).
Bonus Points for:
- Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in.
- Significant contributions to open-source projects
- Mad Node.js skills
- Addiction to writing code in Test-Driven Development style.
- We are a very Mac-friendly group, if that’s your kind of thing.
- We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously from NPR’s giveaway book shelf, regularly walk down the hall to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes and edit bad grammar on milk cartons
- We are a friendly bunch and expect the same from you, too
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process. If you’re checking out technical or digital roles, here are some additional things you should consider about what you’ll experience at NPR.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keep up with us on Social Media on: Facebook at This Is NPR, Twitter at @NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC