DescriptionDuraSpace organization is seeking an experienced software engineer who is interested in being part of a team building a national digital preservation system, to ensure future generations will have open access to our digital cultural materials. This person will lead an effort to integrate three key software platforms - DuraCloud, Chronopolis, and the Digital Preservation Network (DPN) - that all play a critical role in keeping our digital materials safe and accessible to all. This position will involve designing and building software to integrate these three systems as well as coordinating with each of the technical teams to ensure that the strategy for interoperability works well for all involved.
Why you want to take this position:
- You will have the opportunity to play a major role in the development of systems which will provide the underpinning of a nationwide digital preservation network.
- You will have the opportunity to be engaged with the project from architecture and design through to development and deployment.
- Your work will be instrumental in ensuring that culturally relevant digital materials are preserved for future generations.
- You will have the opportunity to work for DuraSpace, a small not-for-profit with a collaborative and collegial culture.
- You will work with top Research Universities from around the USA, and be part of a vibrant multicultural group of software developers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of four years of professional software development experience
- Proficiency and experience developing web applications in Java
- Proficiency in the design and analysis of software systems
- Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building open source software
- Experience managing the storage and transfer of large data sets
- Familiarity with digital library concepts and standards
- Experience with agile development methods
- Experience interacting with RESTful web services
- Experience using messaging systems, familiarity with AMQP a plus
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment, scripting expertise a plus
- Experience working with remote teams
DuraSpace (duraspace.org) is a software not for profit 501(c)3 company. We work with academic and cultural heritage institutions around the world to develop and deploy open source software solutions for managing and providing long term access to their digital cultural materials. Our mission is to provide leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable, persistent access to digital content. DuraSpace was born out of two academic open source software projects, DSpace (dspace.org) and Fedora-commons (fedora-commons.org). We work with a community of vibrant open source developers from all over the world. We offer a number of services to our community based on our open source technologies to help them advance their goals of making materials persistent and available to all.
Originally funded by the Library of Congress National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program (NDIIPP), the Chronopolis digital preservation network has the capacity to preserve hundreds of terabytes of digital data—data of any type or size, with minimal requirements on the data provider. Chronopolis comprises several partner organizations that provide a wide range of services. The project leverages high-speed networks, mass-scale storage capabilities, and the expertise of the partners in order to provide a geographically distributed, heterogeneous, and highly redundant archive system. More information about Chronopolis can be found at chronopolis.sdsc.edu.
About the Digital Preservation Network (DPN)
The Digital Preservation Network (DPN) was formed to ensure that the complete scholarly record is preserved for future generations. DPN uses a federated approach to preservation. The higher education community has created many digital repositories to provide long-term preservation and access. By replicating multiple dark copies of these collections in diverse nodes, DPN protects against the risk of catastrophic loss due to technology, organizational or natural disasters. More information about DPN can be found at dpn.org.
DuraSpace is an equal opportunity employer. We offer health and retirement benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. We are headquartered in the Boston MA area, however most of our employees work virtually and are located around the USA. We are a true believer of the virtual office, and use several online tools to facilitate our ability to work as a team irrespective of physical location. Please send a letter of interest and cv/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply: A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Please send a letter of interest and cv/resume email@example.com.
Carol Minton Morris
Director of Marketing and Communications
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC