Descriptionhe Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a national historic landmark, has welcomed more than 10 million visitors and currently welcomes almost one million visitors annually. The Museum's mission is "to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth." The Museum pursues this mission through a dynamic and enriching exhibition environment recounting human stories behind the machinery on display in relation to the service era of the Intrepid: in World War II, the Cold War, NASA recovery missions and three tours in Vietnam. In connection thereto, the Museum delivers a broad range of credible, innovative, and engaging educational programs supplementing classroom learning in history, science, and leadership as well as extensive public and proprietary programs honoring those who serve our country – all to inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum seeks a highly motivated individual to fill the full-time position of Collections Assistant, Archive Specialist. This person will report to the Collections Manager and work with the larger Exhibits Department to fulfill the mission of the Intrepid Museum. The Collections Assistant, Archive Specialist will support all aspects of the Collections Program including accessioning, policy development and exhibition preparation. Within the Collections Program the Collections Assistant, Archive Specialist will focus on the historic archives. This position requires organization, strong communication, physical agility and a can-do attitude.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with the day to day collections tasks which may include: housing and preparation of documents and artifacts, fabrication of mounts, exhibit installation, preventive conservation and research assignments.
- Cataloging of incoming archive acquisitions, archive backlog and new collections items discovered onboard.
- Participate in the photographing, scanning and digitization of documents and photographs.
- Enter detailed, appropriate and accurate data into the Museum’s database, TMS.
- Develop finding aides for the Museum’s archive with the goal to publish EAD encoded finding aids on the web
- Assist in the relocation and proper housing of archives.
- Participate in collections review meetings to determine proper status of various collection items.
- Aid in the research and development of collections and archives policies
- Perform other duties as required by management
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC