Regional Librarian - Automation
Created: August 31, 2013
Arrowhead Library System Mountain Iron0 other recent jobs
DescriptionUnder administrative direction, is responsible for providing program support for ALS member libraries, which includes public and school libraries on the ALS automation system. The librarian in this position is expected to work as part of a team with administration and other staff at system headquarters, keeping them informed of project developments and issues.
This employee has no direct supervisory authority, and must have the ability to work professionally with minimal supervision. May offer work direction to support staff. The Executive Director and Assistant Director will provide broad objectives. For training and resource sharing activities, the Regional Librarian may develop methods to achieve desired results.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
• Responsible for design, implementation, integration and daily operations of the library’s automation and communication systems, including the integrated library system, LAN, Web server, Internet access, telecommunications and related evolving systems and security issues with said systems
• Designs, plans, implements and evaluates the present and future automation needs of the library system, making recommendations for implementation to the administration
• Takes lead role in meeting established goals as defined by the ALS Strategic Plan for the automation and interlibrary loan departments
• Coordinates COMPASS project operations and meetings
• Coordinate website development for Arrowhead Library System and provide consultation to continuously improve the website
• Keeps current of all new technological procedures, processes and equipment
• Compiles and interprets statistics and prepares reports
• Assist in identifying library training needs, determine most appropriate tools and means of instruction, and either present training program or seek an outside trainer to address the training needs
• Assist with the establishment of a training curriculum for public library staff and ALS staff
• Participate in planning and implementation of statewide programs such as MNLink and any statewide committees pertaining to automation and interlibrary loan
• Establish written departmental procedures and documentation, and update them as necessary
• Develops and recommends policy and procedures for use of computers and computer systems
• Share organizational content with various audiences using a wide variety of tools including, but not limited to websites, social media, email, go-to-meeting and paper documents.
• Represents the system on automation and technology matters on regional and state committees and organizations such as MNLink and state-wide committees
• Take minutes at meetings as needed
• Assist with automation and ILL budget preparation
• Suggest titles for the ALS Professional collection
• Perform special projects and assignments as requested by the Executive Director or Assistant Director
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL
• Must have strong abilities with Microsoft software, Windows Clients/Server and Linux server software
• Must have strong abilities in working with a library automation system
• Must have experience using electronic information resources and mobile devices
• Must have working knowledge of Microsoft office word processing, spreadsheet, and database software
• Must have strong communication skills – both oral and writing
• Must have excellent grammar skills along with the ability to efficiently type and edit documents
• Must have basic math skills
• Must have ability to organize and prioritize work projects, as well as implement and interpret programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures necessary for providing quality service
• Must have strong visionary skills to seek innovative uses of technology to further library service goals
• Must have experience using social networking tools such as blog, Facebook, Twitter
• Must have ability to plan and manage large-scale projects and to handle multiple priorities
• Must have ability to establish a cordial, effective working relationship with ALS administration, staff, and member library personnel
• Must have working knowledge of developing training formats with alternate formats such as YouTube videos, Go-to-Meeting Webinars, or other online methods
• Work experience in a SirsiDynix Horizon environment is desirable
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The incumbent must have an undergraduate degree with coursework in computer science. A Master’s degree is required in library science, management, computer technology, or a related field. The incumbent must have a minimum of three years of experience in library service with an emphasis in library automation. Public library experience is highly desirable.
General office working environment with the possibility of some travel.
May be called upon to move equipment or assist with room set-up for training.
Must have a valid driver's license or the ability to travel within the region.
Must have ability to travel outside of the region if necessary for the job.
Must have ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
Must be able to pass a physical examination, if required.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC