Under the general direction of the Library Director, the Digital Services Manager performs specialized duites related to various technology-related tasks within the Library including website design/maintenance, programming events for internet-based customers, social media presence/monitoring, staff training in digital applications, and other similar duties. This position is also primarily responsible for the Library’s computer servers and network operations including the Library’s Integrated Library System (ILS). The Digital Services Manager interacts primarily with other staff members and company vendors. The Digital Services Manager is responsible for the supervision of the Systems staff to include providing work schedules, training, conducting performance reviews, hiring, and disciplining. Determining and adhering to established budgets, tracking of detailed information, and participation in procedure/policy setting are required. Duties require supervisory skills, independent judgment, and independent action.
The Library expects all employees to observe and develop our core values of: Motivation, Positive Attitude, Respect for Others, Strong Commitment to Customer Service, Sense of Humor, Integrity,
Honesty, Tolerance and Flexibility.
- Maintain the Library’s servers and computer network, including the Library’s Integrated Library
- System (ILS).
- Support server applications such as the Library’s content management systems, email, , staff
- intranet, public computer time management/print management software, staff webcalendar,
- and the System’s Department’s trouble ticketing system.
- Provide ongoing maintenance of the Library’s websites; provide complete renovation to the
- parts of the site according to the Library’s long range plan.
- Organize in-house training exercise annually for library staff.
- Provide online programming through the Library’s website.
- Support face-to-face young adult programming in technology through participation in Teen Tech
- Week (March).
- Serve on the Library’s Social Media Committee to maintain and monitor the Library’s social
- media presence.
- Supervise, hire, and train Systems Assistant.
- Complete grant applications for technology-related library initiatives.
- Maintain the Library’s participation in the federal e-rate program, completing all paperwork in a
- timely fashion.
- Participate as a member of the Management Team in planning and policy making
- Participate in library associations (especially on the regional and state level) in promoting the
- use of library technologies.
- Create and maintain an appropriate manual of the department’s operations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, related specialized training, or extensive experience in
- network operation, basic computer repair and advanced troubleshooting techniques.
- Master's degree in library science from an ALA accredited library school preferred.
- Experience in maintaining servers using Windows and Linux operating systems. Experience with
- virtual server environments preferred.
- Experience developing and maintaining web applications using programming languages and
- relational databases.
- Experience managing open source applications preferred.
- Certification in server, network, and personal computer software and hardware is strongly
- Extensive computer experience with standard office software, including Microsoft Office
- products, email, and internet usage.
- Must be able to meet and maintain Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (KDLA)
- certification requirements.
- Experience with Structured Query Language (SQL) reporting preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving history. Personal transportation that can be used
- for business travel is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals may need to sit or stand for extended periods. Manual dexterity to manipulate library materials required. Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively. Work extensive hours at the computer screen. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Ability to do repetitive tasks with speed and accuracy. Employee may need to carry, push, pull, or lift up to 30 pounds. Proper lifting techniques required. Push and pull fully loaded (50-100 pounds) book trucks. Ability to work under pressure, coordinating multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and meet firm deadlines.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, August 29, 2013 15:55 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC