DescriptionThis position is responsible for cataloging and metadata creation for scholarly resources in all formats. The position is accountable for quality bibliographic and metadata records in library systems to ensure discovery and access of scholarly resources. The position oversees training of copy catalogers in applying cataloging and emerging metadata standards. This position requires understanding of emerging technologies and evolving workflows in Technical Services. The position requires in-depth knowledge of cataloging and metadata practices, bibliographic utilities, library systems, and authority control. The position assists with the day-to-day operations of the Technical Services department. The position participates in meetings with LTS staff and librarians and offers expertise to help meet LTS strategic goals and LTS service standards. This position will engage in professional development opportunities locally and nationally.
Library - Cataloging/Metadata creation for all scholarly resources
- Create bibliographic/metadata records for all scholarly resources; develop and implement best practices for batch loading bibliographic/ metadata records
- Knowledge of cataloging standards such as AACR2, LCSH, Dewey and metadata standards such as EAD, Dublin Core, etc.
- Establish or verify classification to accurately integrate materials into library systems and scholarly collections
- Plan and implement authority control processes for library systems and library projects including Digital Library projects and the Institutional Repository
- Maintain cataloging and metadata statistics
Library - Training Technical Services team
- Train and guide copy catalogers on changes to cataloging and metadata standards
- Encourage staff members to attend professional development and training activities; encourage staff to offer training to team
- Resolve problems and provide support to team members
Library - Creating and maintaining documentation for Technical Services Team
- Create, edit, and maintain a cataloging/metadata procedures manual to facilitate training of new and existing staff
- Oversee and train staff to create and maintain documentation
- Coordinate with other teams on best practices and documentation
Library - Technical/Systems
- Analyze and make recommendations on improving existing library systems; represent Lehigh University as a participant in the development of Kuali OLE and future systems development
- Create and maintain processes for import/export of records to/from library systems.
- Review and test record sets before import to library systems.
- Assist in policy development pertaining to cataloging/metadata creation in library systems.
- Monitor electronic resource functionality in library systems to ensure continued access to scholarly resources by library users.
Library - Professional Participation
- Participate in professional meetings with library staff, including Lending Services, Technology, Collection Development, and Client Services Teams.
- Collaborate with other LTS Teams, offering expertise and guidance as appropriate.
- Participate in users groups and open source community to maintain updated systems knowledge, enhance problem-solving skills, identify and resolve potential problems
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent combination of education or experience
- Three to five years related work experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation and advanced graphics software
- Ability to create complex documents, spreadsheet analysis, and advanced graphics
- Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC
How to apply
Metadata Library of Congress Subject Headings Library collection development Kuali Foundation Encoded Archival Description Dublin Core Digital repository Digital library Dewey Decimal Classification Cataloging
Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 14:53 UTC