DescriptionThe George Mason University Libraries is seeking a creative and experienced librarian for the position of Head, Resource Description and Metadata Services. This department head position provides leadership and vision for access to and description of all library research materials including digital resources and data. In particular, the Libraries seek a dynamic leader to provide direction, guidance and training for this talented and motivated department. Supervises three professional faculty (librarians) and eight support staff. This is a highly collaborative position, working closely with a number of colleagues across the Libraries, including the Head, Resource Acquisition, the Information Analyst for Technical Services, Digital Programs and Systems Group, Collection Development and Preservation, Special Collections and Archives, and Liaison Librarians.
Oversees daily operations, manages daily workflows and special projects (which encompasses copy and original cataloging of library materials in all formats, including digital, multimedia, special collections material and data-sets), determines best practices for cataloging and descriptive workflows, provides quality control for processed materials utilizing various metadata standards, ensures bibliographic integrity by actively using authority control, updates database records using batch process tools such as MARCEdit, organizes, plans, and coordinates special projects and communicates activities and priorities to colleagues, implements project management plans for new cataloging and metadata initiatives, and directly catalogs some unique collections.
- ALA-accredited MLS or ALA-recognized foreign equivalent
- Significant experience with cataloging operations including original cataloging and quality control
- Significant experience with RDA, AACR2, LCC, LCSH, MARC21, OCLC Connexion
- Cataloging knowledge of at least one foreign language
- Experience with new and evolving information access standards and metadata schemes (Dublin Core, EAD, etc.)
- Significant experience with an integrated library system
- Demonstrated effective supervisory leadership
- Demonstrated successful organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong service orientation and commitment to the profession
- Collegial, team-focused management orientation
- 2-3 years of supervisory experience
- 5 years of professional-level cataloging experience
- Project management experience
- Experience with providing access to digital resources
- NACO training
- Experience working with systems and tools currently in use at Mason Libraries, including: Ex Libris Voyager and Primo, MARCEdit, Luna, Omeka, and DSpace.
12-month professional faculty appointment with rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Benefits information and application instructions are available at hr.gmu.edu/. All applications for this position (FA391z) MUST be submitted online at jobs.gmu.edu/. Review of applications will begin on September 10, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to Debra Hogan, Executive Assistant to the University Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution—located in the greater metropolitan Washington, D.C. area—with national distinction in a range of academic fields. Enrollment is over 32,000, with students studying in over 198 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William. The university is a member of the Washington Research Library Consortium, the Virtual Library of Virginia, the Center for Research Libraries, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, and the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition. For more information please visit library.gmu.edu or www.gmu.edu/.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, August 17, 2013 13:31 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC